cell reference

  1. #1
    lees news
    Guest

    cell reference

    I have a list of numbers in column A. I wish at the bottom to return the
    maximum value in column A using =max(a1:a100) but i also want the cell
    reference of this value. how can i do this.

    thanks

  2. #2
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: cell reference

    Use the MATCH function - it will give you the relative position of the
    maximum value in your range, and as this begins at A1 then this is the
    same as the row. If you have two maximum values, however, it will only
    report the first occurrence.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  3. #3
    Mark
    Guest

    Re: cell reference

    Pete_UK wrote:
    > Use the MATCH function - it will give you the relative position of the
    > maximum value in your range, and as this begins at A1 then this is the
    > same as the row. If you have two maximum values, however, it will only
    > report the first occurrence.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Pete
    >
    > lees news wrote:
    > > I have a list of numbers in column A. I wish at the bottom to return the
    > > maximum value in column A using =max(a1:a100) but i also want the cell
    > > reference of this value. how can i do this.
    > >
    > > thanks

    Try this:
    ="A"&MATCH(MAX(A1:A100),A1:A100)
    This will place the cell reference to the largest number in your list
    in the cell that contains this formula.