Displaying a percentage

  1. #1

    Displaying a percentage

    Sorry if this appears to be a newbie question, but how do I display a percentage figure of another cell. Example:

    A1 £52.89

    A2 17.5% of A1

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Displaying a percentage

    About percentages in Excel

    Niek Otten, July 26 2006

    In Excel, percentages are stored as fractions; 15% is stored as 0.15, 100% as 1. That makes it easy to calculate with; just
    multiply a number with a percentage and you get what you need. No need to divide/multiply by 100. In fact, if you see a
    calculation with percentages which has the number 100 somewhere in the formula; be very careful, it might be wrong or at least use
    percentages in a way they weren't meant to be used in Excel.
    The conversion to a fraction happens automatically if you enter the % sign: if you enter "15%" (without the quotes) the
    value will be 0.15 and it will be displayed as 15%. If you then enter 12 in the same cell, two things can happen: It will be the
    number 12 or 12%. What happens in your case depends on a setting:
    Tools>Options, Edit tab, "Enable automatic percent entry" (only Excel2000 and newer).
    All built-in functions of Excel and all the functions in Analysis Toolpak use this representation of percentages: be careful
    when supplying parameters to these functions; never use whole numbers (like 8), always use fractions (like 0.08 or, even better,
    8%).

    Frequently Asked Questions:

    Q:
    I have A1 and B1. How do I get C1 to show B1 as a percentage of A1?
    A:
    =B1/A1, Format as %

    Q:
    I have A1 and B1. How do I show the difference as a percentage in C1?
    A:
    As a percentage of A1: =(B1-A1)/A1, Format as %
    As a percentage of B1: =(B1-A1)/B1, Format as %

    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten
    Microsoft MVP - Excel

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Marcelo
    Guest

    RE: Displaying a percentage

    =a1*a2

  4. #4
    Sorry, perhaps I didnt make my self too clear.

    In cell A2 I need to know what 17.5% is of cell A1

    Thanks

  5. #5
    Niek Otten
    Guest