Financial Spreadsheet Help (2007)

  1. #1

    Financial Spreadsheet Help (2007)

    I am trying to create a stock portfolio data spreadsheet for Excel 2007, but I am encountering many problems.

    Firstly, I am trying to find a formula that will divide the current value of the stock with the initial price. However, I receive a #Value error (or some equivalent) whenever I try to enter =Quotient(G6:G100,F6-F100).

    Also, can Excel automatically change the color of the text depending on the preceeding value? If I enter in $222 in one cell followed by $232 in the next, can Excel color the numbers red or green depending on higher/lower?

    More later. (If you need further explaining, feel free to PM me.)

    I appreciate all help.

    http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/9139/portvb5.png
    Last edited by Merodoc; 08-16-2006 at 12:25 PM.

  2. #2
    gls858
    Guest

    Re: Financial Spreadsheet Help (2007)

    Merodoc wrote:
    > I am trying to create a stock portfolio data spreadsheet for Excel 2007,
    > but I am encountering many problems.
    >
    > Firstly, I am trying to find a formula that will divide the current
    > value of the stock with the initial price. However, I receive a #Value
    > error (or some equivalent) whenever I try to enter
    > =Quotient(G6:G100,F6-F100).
    >
    > Also, can Excel automatically change the color of the text depending on
    > the preceeding value? If I enter in $222 in one cell followed by $232 in
    > the next, can Excel color the numbers red or green depending on
    > higher/lower?
    >
    > More later. (If you need further explaining, feel free to PM me.)
    >
    > I appreciate all help.

    Not sure about the first question but the second can be done with
    conditional formating under Format. Pretty self explanatory.

    gls858

  3. #3
    gls858

    Merodoc wrote:
    > I am trying to create a stock portfolio data spreadsheet for Excel 2007,
    > but I am encountering many problems.
    >
    > Firstly, I am trying to find a formula that will divide the current
    > value of the stock with the initial price. However, I receive a #Value
    > error (or some equivalent) whenever I try to enter
    > =Quotient(G6:G100,F6-F100).
    >
    > Also, can Excel automatically change the color of the text depending on
    > the preceeding value? If I enter in $222 in one cell followed by $232 in
    > the next, can Excel color the numbers red or green depending on
    > higher/lower?
    >
    > More later. (If you need further explaining, feel free to PM me.)
    >
    > I appreciate all help.

    After checking the help file I found this:

    Remark

    If either argument is nonnumeric, QUOTIENT returns the #VALUE! error value.
    Your arguments are non numeric.

    I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish or how your sheet is set up
    but to divide one number by another you can simply use =g6/f6 in a new
    column say col h and copy it down.

    gls858

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by gls858
    Merodoc wrote:
    > I am trying to create a stock portfolio data spreadsheet for Excel 2007,
    > but I am encountering many problems.
    >
    > Firstly, I am trying to find a formula that will divide the current
    > value of the stock with the initial price. However, I receive a #Value
    > error (or some equivalent) whenever I try to enter
    > =Quotient(G6:G100,F6-F100).
    >
    > Also, can Excel automatically change the color of the text depending on
    > the preceeding value? If I enter in $222 in one cell followed by $232 in
    > the next, can Excel color the numbers red or green depending on
    > higher/lower?
    >
    > More later. (If you need further explaining, feel free to PM me.)
    >
    > I appreciate all help.

    Not sure about the first question but the second can be done with
    conditional formating under Format. Pretty self explanatory.

    gls858
    You might be surprised how difficult all things technical can be.

    I see the ribbon you mentioned (conditional formatting). I selected Highlight Cell Rules>More Rules>Use A Formula to determine which cells to format. However, I don't know what formula to use, or where to begin.

    GLS-Link to my sheet is in first post.
    Last edited by Merodoc; 08-16-2006 at 01:29 PM.

  5. #5
    gls858

    gls858 wrote:
    > Merodoc wrote:
    >> I am trying to create a stock portfolio data spreadsheet for Excel 2007,
    >> but I am encountering many problems.
    >>
    >> Firstly, I am trying to find a formula that will divide the current
    >> value of the stock with the initial price. However, I receive a #Value
    >> error (or some equivalent) whenever I try to enter
    >> =Quotient(G6:G100,F6-F100).
    >>
    >> Also, can Excel automatically change the color of the text depending on
    >> the preceeding value? If I enter in $222 in one cell followed by $232 in
    >> the next, can Excel color the numbers red or green depending on
    >> higher/lower?
    >>
    >> More later. (If you need further explaining, feel free to PM me.)
    >>
    >> I appreciate all help.
    >>

    > After checking the help file I found this:
    >
    > Remark
    >
    > If either argument is nonnumeric, QUOTIENT returns the #VALUE! error value.
    > Your arguments are non numeric.
    >
    > I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish or how your sheet is set
    > up but to divide one number by another you can simply use =g6/f6 in a
    > new column say col h and copy it down.
    >
    > gls858

    Merodoc,
    I found your link and checked the sheet. I realize now that your using
    2007. I know you put it in the subject but it didn't sink in until I
    saw the spreadsheet. First of all 2007 is still beta software so there
    could be things that don't work as expected. I'll post the method used it
    Excel 2003. Maybe it will be enough to get you started in the right
    direction. You might also check help for conditional formatting. I think
    there is a newsgroup for the beta software.Maybe someone here can point you
    to that group.

    Put the cursor in the cell you want to change color.
    Open the conditional formatting window. In the first box select
    Cell value is from the drop down menu > then in the next box select the
    is greater than > in the third box put the cell you want to test against.
    Then click the format button and select pattern and select the color you
    want. Now click the add button and do the same procedure except this time
    select less than. Click OK

    gls858