Excel Columns Problem

  1. #1
    Debby Bunce
    Guest

    Excel Columns Problem

    Hello Fellow Excel users,

    I have alittle problem which i hope somebody can point me in the right
    direction

    Picture my screen in excel

    Col A is a list of Names with Multiple entries for the same person

    Col B is a number ranging from 0 to 7

    eg

    A B

    Joe Bloggs 1
    Jim Smith 2
    Joe Bloggs 4
    Pete Smith 5
    Jim Smith 4

    What i want to create is another list where

    Col A is a list of names Just 1 entry per name
    Col B the sum of all entries for that persons name

    eg

    A B

    Joe Bloggs 5
    Jim Smith 6
    Pete Smith 5

    I hope ive explained it ok

    if you have any questions just email me

    Cheers

    Steve

  2. #2
    Franz Verga
    Guest

    Re: Excel Columns Problem

    Debby Bunce wrote:
    > Hello Fellow Excel users,
    >
    > I have alittle problem which i hope somebody can point me in the right
    > direction
    >
    > Picture my screen in excel
    >
    > Col A is a list of Names with Multiple entries for the same person
    >
    > Col B is a number ranging from 0 to 7
    >
    > eg
    >
    > A B
    >
    > Joe Bloggs 1
    > Jim Smith 2
    > Joe Bloggs 4
    > Pete Smith 5
    > Jim Smith 4
    >

    > What i want to create is another list where
    >
    > Col A is a list of names Just 1 entry per name
    > Col B the sum of all entries for that persons name
    >

    > eg
    >
    > A B
    >
    > Joe Bloggs 5
    > Jim Smith 6
    > Pete Smith 5
    >

    > I hope ive explained it ok

    Hi Steve,

    first of all select your A column then from menu Data, Filter, Advanced
    Filter, you can create a new list of unic entries in another location of
    your sheet, then using the SUMIF function beside this new list of names you
    can sum the values in your original list.

    --
    (I'm not sure of names of menus, options and commands, because
    translating from the Italian version of Excel...)

    Hope I helped you.

    Thanks in advance for your feedback.

    Ciao

    Franz Verga from Italy

  3. #3
    Epinn
    Guest

    Re: Excel Columns Problem

    Hi,

    Hope the following link helps.

    Five ways to subtotal values in repeating data

    Cheers,

    Epinn

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Debby Bunce
    Guest

    Re: Excel Columns Problem

    thanks for the reply but ive created a pivot table and im sorted now

    thanks again

    steve

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Debby Bunce
    Guest

    Re: Excel Columns Problem

    thanks for the reply and im using a pivot table and im all sorted now

    thanks again

    steve

    news:%[email protected]...