Can I lock 2 columns together so that the 2 cells in a row are joined?

  1. #1
    Bernard
    Guest

    Can I lock 2 columns together so that the 2 cells in a row are joined?

    Hello,

    I want to use Excel to compile a list of my DVDs.

    This requires just two columns. The first column will be used to number the
    DVD. The second column will be used for the actual name of the DVD.

    However, I will want to sort the list in two ways: alphabetically and
    numerically.

    So the question is: Can I lock these two columns together so that when I
    want to see my list alphabetically, the first column that has the number of
    the DVD will automatically adjust itself to stay with the DVD.

    I hope this makes sense and thank you for your attention and any advice you
    can give me.

    David

  2. #2
    Forum Moderator davesexcel's Avatar
    Regina
    MS-Off Ver
    MS 365
    Posts
    13,475
    You could hilight the range you want to sort say
    A1:B320 what ever the range is
    goto the top menu and select data, sort
    the sort menu shows and askes which column to sort by you can either select column A or B

    This will sort the way you want it to

  3. #3
    SteveW
    Guest

    Re: Can I lock 2 columns together so that the 2 cells in a row are joined?

    When you sort (simple A-Z button) it will select the range of data aroun=
    d =

    the current cell.

    So if you have numbers in A and text in B
    then click on a10 and sort will work numerically
    and click on b10 and it will sort by name

    Only thing is you may want to have a heading for your data
    ie A1 "DVD Number"
    B1 "DVD Title"

    In this case if you sort using the Data, Sort... menu
    it willa gain select the whoel region for your data and usuually detect =
    =

    that the first row is a header.
    Choose which column you want to sort on and it will sort, leaving the =

    header row at the top.

    Steve

    On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 14:49:28 +0100, Bernard <[email protected]> =
    =

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Can I lock 2 columns together so that the 2 cells in a row are joined?

    Just make sure you select both columns prior to doing the sort.

    Then sort on whichever column you desire.

    Do not rely on Excel to keep the range together, although it does a good job
    "most of the time".

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP