referencing a list on seprat tab, then calculate

  1. #1
    rhino.dallas.mlm
    Guest

    referencing a list on seprat tab, then calculate

    HI! fellows,
    on first tab I have columns that is the days ( of a projected week) of a
    construction project.the rows are my employees.
    this project was 18 days long and 18 total employees.each day had different
    number of workers on site with each worker having different rates .
    the other tab has the employees rates adjacent to thier names in a list.
    Question is: ( i may need macro but i dont know it well) Under each day of
    the project , i would like to put their name in the cell corresponding to the
    day they worked and have it refer to its respective rates on the list tab and
    then go down to last empty cell under its current column and formulate how
    much labor was expended that curent day...can this be done using referencing
    or a macro is needed.?Thanks to anyone who helps!! great evening !
    mlm dallas

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: referencing a list on seprat tab, then calculate

    Hazarding some thoughts that what you're after is probably achievable either
    via VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH

    Try Debra Dalgleish's nice coverage on VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH at her:

    VLOOKUP

    INDEX/MATCH

    There's also some sample workbooks available for d/l & study
    --
    Max
    Singapore

  3. #3
    paul
    Guest

    Re: referencing a list on seprat tab, then calculate

    I presume your daily table will consist of total hours per worker.
    have a hidden column(prolly b) in first tab for your vlookup for the rates
    for your workers,whose names in in col a3 down
    this formula will look something like this
    =vlookup(a3,Sheet2!$A$1:$b$20,2,false) and copy down.
    I would have your total at the top of the sheet so you can just keep adding
    workers as you need to
    the sumproduct formula for working out your daily total for you first days
    work say in c2 will be =sumproduct($B$2:$B$50,c2:c50),copy across for the
    number of columns
    on the far right have a =sum(C2:c20) or similar to keep a total of days
    =sumproduct
    --
    paul
    [email protected]