Sort Data Base By Column

  1. #1

    Sort Data Base By Column

    I'd like to sort a data base by column C and have all the associated date in the rest of the columns sort as well. How is that done?

    Thanks for any help
    Travelersway

  2. #2
    gls858
    Guest

    Re: Sort Data Base By Column

    travelersway wrote:
    > I'd like to sort a data base by column C and have all the associated
    > date in the rest of the columns sort as well. How is that done?
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    > Travelersway

    It sounds like your in the datasheet view of a table.
    Sorting is normally done in a query or report, but you can sort
    the data sheet in descending or ascending order by clicking on the col
    header and then clicking the button that says z to a or a to z. Access
    will keep the rows together.

    gls858

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Sort Data Base By Column

    Wrong answer, that would disassociate all of the data
    from the corresponding column being sorted.

    First Select a cell in the column you want to sort in (this is not
    real important is you use the Sort menu.

    Second select all cells, for all versions of Excel through
    Excel 2002 (XP) that would be Ctrl+A like in ALL applications
    software.

    If you have Excel 2003 (your data is at risk using
    Ctrl+A) you have to hit Ctrl+A twice and probably worse after
    Excel 2003. You can accomplish "almost"
    the same thing using the gray button between the row headings and
    the column headings, and most likely will change your active cell.

    Third, Data, Sort, Column A or as known by the header row (1st row)
    cell of the selection. If your data has a header column be sure to
    check the "My data has headers" so that it will not be sorted.

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sorting.htm
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/shortx2k.htm

    ---
    HTH,

  4. #4
    gls858
    Guest

    Re: Sort Data Base By Column

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > Wrong answer, that would disassociate all of the data
    > from the corresponding column being sorted.
    >
    > First Select a cell in the column you want to sort in (this is not
    > real important is you use the Sort menu.
    >
    > Second select all cells, for all versions of Excel through
    > Excel 2002 (XP) that would be Ctrl+A like in ALL applications
    > software.
    >
    > If you have Excel 2003 (your data is at risk using
    > Ctrl+A) you have to hit Ctrl+A twice and probably worse after
    > Excel 2003. You can accomplish "almost"
    > the same thing using the gray button between the row headings and
    > the column headings, and most likely will change your active cell.
    >
    > Third, Data, Sort, Column A or as known by the header row (1st row)
    > cell of the selection. If your data has a header column be sure to
    > check the "My data has headers" so that it will not be sorted.
    >
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sorting.htm
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/shortx2k.htm
    >
    > ---
    > HTH,
    > David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001]
    > My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
    > Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm
    >
    > "gls858" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> travelersway wrote:
    >>> I'd like to sort a data base by column C and have all the associated
    >>> date in the rest of the columns sort as well. How is that done?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help
    >>> Travelersway
    >>>

    >> It sounds like your in the datasheet view of a table.
    >> Sorting is normally done in a query or report, but you can sort
    >> the data sheet in descending or ascending order by clicking on the col
    >> header and then clicking the button that says z to a or a to z. Access
    >> will keep the rows together.
    >>
    >> gls858

    Sorry about that David I thought I was in the Access group as you can see
    by my last sentence. My humble apologies to the OP.

    gls858

  5. #5
    David McRitchie
    Guest