Max number of worksheets in a file

  1. #1
    Bob W.
    Guest

    Max number of worksheets in a file

    Is there a limit on the number of worksheets that can be contained in a
    single Excel file?

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    I don't think there is a limit. But why would you want that many worksheets? It becomes unmanagable after X amount
    Google is your best friend!

  3. #3
    Bob W.
    Guest

    Re: Max number of worksheets in a file

    My wife is a bookkeeper in a small law firm and uses Excel for keeping track
    of trust fund activity... she has a separate tab for each of the firm's
    clients and she's worried that too many worksheets will cause problems in
    Excel... currently she has about 350 worksheets in the file.

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Max number of worksheets in a file

    Bob

    Help> "limits and specifications" says this.............

    Sheets in a workbook Limited by available memory (default is 3 sheets)

    350 sheets is pushing the envelope vis a vis manageable.

    Not the number of sheets per se, but the attendant file size can get unwieldy.

    See Charles Williams' site for assistance and info on calculations and speeding
    up.

    http://www.decisionmodels.com/

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    In your wife's case, I would definitely seperate out each client to their own workbook.

    For three reasons:

    Speed of calculation

    Size of File

    If something goes wrong with that one giant file, your wife is SOL. vs lost data on 1 client is MUCH better.

  6. #6

    Re: Max number of worksheets in a file

    On the other hand, I would take a different approach.

    I'd put all the data in one worksheet in a single workbook. I'd add an
    indicator column (or a few) to show to whom the data belongs.

    But then I can use that giant worksheet to do other stuff--group results, charts
    and graphs, pivottables.

    If I needed to separate the data into separate worksheets to share, I'd put them
    in separate workbooks, too. Don't hide sheets or hide data expecting that
    others won't be able to find it in excel. (Excel's security isn't made for
    that.)

    This assumes that all the data fits in about 40k rows (sometimes excel will slow
    down greatly when the amount of data/formulas get too large).

  7. #7
    SteveW
    Guest

    Re: Max number of worksheets in a file

    On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 20:01:49 +0100, Dave Peterson =

    =

    > that
    > others won't be able to find it in excel. (Excel's security isn't mad=

    e =

    > for
    > that.)
    >
    > This assumes that all the data fits in about 40k rows (sometimes excel=

    =

    > will slow
    > down greatly when the amount of data/formulas get too large).

    a *much* safer solution.

    But as with most *small excel solutions* that grow, difficult to think =

    like that at the initial design stage.

    Worth the effort in chanmging that though.
    -- =

    Steve (3)

  8. #8
    Dunstable, England
    MS-Off Ver

    number of worksheets

    The standard for the amount of worksheets is 255, or it least to be in previous Excel Workbooks up to Excel 2000, this was the same for the amount of characters in any cell = 255. I sure someone will correct me on this. The number of worksheets set to "3" has been set in tools, options, general.
    The majority of the time we only need 1 or 2 worksheets in any one workbook. It all depends on what the administrator has set it to. I think Excel 95 was set to 16 by default and Excel 2000 is set to 3.

    Hope this is of help.