Closed Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

How do I split a cell into 3 different cells in excel?

  1. #1
    K8
    Guest

    How do I split a cell into 3 different cells in excel?

    I'm trying to build a spreadsheet with 3 columns and then on the second row
    one of the columns is split into 3 but I don't know how to do this!!

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: How do I split a cell into 3 different cells in excel?

    Hi

    you can not split a cell in excel, you can, however, merge them ... so if
    you use 5 columns, merge three cells in the first row and play around with
    the sizing you might be able to achieve what you're after.

    A note however, merged cells can be a nightmare later on down the track with
    sorting / filtering etc.

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    K8
    Guest

    Re: How do I split a cell into 3 different cells in excel?

    thanks Julie, K8

  4. #4
    Guest

    How do I split a cell into 3 different cells in excel?

    not sure what you have in mind but try text to columns on
    data menu.

  5. #5
    iloveexcellllll
    Guest

    RE: How do I split a cell into 3 different cells in excel?

    I generally do not merge cells in a worksheet/workbook because once you start
    merging, you won't be able to sort without the possibility of loosing
    information.
    I like to use a separate column for all of my headers and work down and
    across for each new subset of data.

    example:
    Jan Sales
    Mark Susan Joan

  6. #6
    CCW
    Guest

    RE: How do I split a cell into 3 different cells in excel?

    I have found this problem long after it has been posted but I do a lot of
    spread sheets and "HAD" the same problem. The previous comments were all
    true as far as I know, but the trick to achieve what you are trying to do is
    to:

    => Type the Heading into the 1st of the Three Cells
    => Select All 3 Cells
    => Format
    => Alignment
    => Horizontal
    => Scroll Down to Center Across Selection & Select

    This allows you to Sort the Data As Well.

    Note - Do Not Put any information into the the cells to the right of the
    first cell where the heading is.

  7. #7
    Roslyn New Zealand
    MS-Off Ver
    16.0.17226.42303

    Re: How do I split a cell into 3 different cells in excel?

    => Type the Heading into the 1st of the Three Cells
    => Select All 3 Cells
    => Format
    => Alignment
    => Horizontal
    => Scroll Down to Center Across Selection & Select

    I cannot find the Alignment and Horizontal and scroll down in Excel 97.

    How do I find.

    Thks
    Charlie

  8. #8
    Forum Guru DonkeyOte's Avatar
    Northumberland, UK
    MS-Off Ver
    O365
    Posts
    21,531

    Re: How do I split a cell into 3 different cells in excel?

    Your post does not comply with Rule 2 of our Forum RULES. Don't post a question in the thread of another member -- start your own thread. If you feel it's particularly relevant, provide a link to the other thread.

Closed Thread