Export to Excel API

  1. #1
    ong
    Guest

    Export to Excel API

    Hi all,

    I found that in many reporting software, they also have a built-in function
    to export their report in Excel format, no matter the PC have Excel installed
    or not. I searched in web and found that most of the sample code is creating
    the Excel COM object (Excel.Application, Excel.Workbook etc....) and then
    write their contect into each cell and finally close/release all the
    reference. However, is it the way those reporting software I have mentioned
    before export their report into Excel format ?
    If not, how they can do that ? Is it there is some API which I can call to
    achieve it ?

    Thanks in advance

    ong

  2. #2
    ong
    Guest

    RE: Export to Excel API

    Sorry for dupicate post.

    Please ignore this message.

  3. #3

    Re: Export to Excel API

    The excel file format would be pretty difficult to create.

    But you could create a comma separated value file (plain text file) in your
    application.

    If excel is on a pc, then the .csv extension will be owned by excel (if the user
    hasn't changed it).

    If you really want to try, you may want to review the posts by Tom Ogilvy in
    this thread:

    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?th...tngp13.phx.gbl

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Export to Excel API

    Ong -

    It seems to me that this approach would not work unless Excel is installed on the
    host machine. How else does the software activate the Excel object?

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  5. #5
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Export to Excel API

    He is asking if this is how "commercial" software works -- he describes how
    software found on the web does it (using Automation). The answer is No -
    "commercial" software writes to the Excel file spec, since as you say,
    automation/COM requires Excel to be present.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...