transitioning custom menu from XL95 to XL97

  1. #1
    WindsurferLA
    Guest

    transitioning custom menu from XL95 to XL97

    IN XL95 I added a custom category to the worksteet menu bar called
    "ListActions." Under "ListActions" are listed peoples names. In XL75, I
    could press Alt-L and the "ListActions" list would be appear. I could
    then press the first letter of the name, and the associated Macro would
    run. In XL97 the list appears, but I must use the mouse to designate the
    specific name.

    In an earlier post, I learned that I must put an ampersand "&" in front
    of the letter to be used for the key board short cut. The problem is how
    edit existing menu in XL97 so I need not redo all of the numerous menus
    from scratch. For unknown reasons, I've not been able to load XL95 on
    my machine, so I can not go back and make the modification before the 95
    to 97 conversion.

    In XL97, when I go to toolbars/customize/commands, it lists most all of
    the items on the worksheet menu bar such as file, edit, view .... help.
    It does not list "ListActions," the category shown to the right of HELP.
    Since "ListActions" is not listed, I can't edit it to add the
    appersands. I have not been able to find it listed elsewhere as well.

    I'm sorry if some parts of this question may overlap prior inquires, but
    with the transition from Win98SE to WinXP, some of my e-mail messages
    have gotten lost.

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: transitioning custom menu from XL95 to XL97

    If you know what the menu items are, what macros they call, we can help you
    build a new menu using Commandbars aka XL97 ->.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    WindsurferLA
    Guest

    Re: transitioning custom menu from XL95 to XL97

    I know which macros they are, but there are 159 of them on eight macro
    sheets, so I'm obvious looking for some sort of batch conversion
    process. Also, I want these macros to be uniquely associated with just
    the one workbook. I can't have them being called by keystrokes in
    another workbook.

    F.Y.I. I've also working the process of trying to load Office95 on my
    machine so I have XL95 with the thought that it might be faster to go
    back into XL95 and make the changes in the XL95 macro editor so that
    they work when brought into XL97.

  4. #4
    Jim S
    Guest

    RE: transitioning custom menu from XL95 to XL97

    Hi,
    There is a (by far) easier way to create custom menus in XL97 (and 2000 and
    XP). I ran into a similar issue when going from XL95 -- I really liked the
    menu builder. I tried to find the site, but it is no longer there.

    However, I can send you a copy (zipped if needed -- but be sure to virus
    scan anyway)...don't really know the rules about this.

    I believe it could be adapted to the typical Excel menubars, if you like the
    approach, I could probably help further. Let me know if you want me to email
    the workbook.

    JS

  5. #5
    Jim S
    Guest

    RE: transitioning custom menu from XL95 to XL97

    Oops, I forgot to mention that because this method puts all of the macro
    names on a worksheet you can hide, you can do many. I also tested placing
    the & in the names and it worked.

    -Hope this helps.
    JS

  6. #6
    WindsurferLA
    Guest

    Re: transitioning custom menu from XL95 to XL97

    Jim... Please e-mail file to [email protected] As I recall, Yahoo mail
    will handle attachments of at least 1 MByte and possibly 5 Mybte. File
    size is not a problem; I have high speed connection. I also have Norton
    Antivirus to scan file.

    Thanks. WindsurferLA

  7. #7
    WindsurferLA
    Guest

    Re: transitioning custom menu from XL95 to XL97

    Formatting Test Post

  8. #8
    Michael Hoffmann
    Guest

    Re: transitioning custom menu from XL95 to XL97

    Hello Jim,

    I ran into the same problem. Could you please send me a copy, too?

    Thank you.

    Michael.

    My email address: m.hoffmann AT comparcompuer.com. (Please replace the AT with the @).