User-defined function clitch ...

  1. #1
    George Raft
    Guest

    User-defined function clitch ...

    Sorry, I'm back again.

    I've written a user-defined function to replace the often confusing
    V/HLookup(...Match(...) .) combination used in spreadsheets to return an
    element in a bordered (top and left edges) table. Here's the code:

    Function GETENTRY(atRow As Variant, _
    atCol As Variant, _
    inTable As Range) As Variant

    Dim i As Integer, j As Integer

    On Error Resume Next
    With Application
    i = .Match(atRow, inTable.Columns(1), 0)
    j = .Match(atCol, inTable.Rows(1), 0)
    End With

    If Err <> 0 Then
    MsgBox "One of " & atRow & " or " & atCol & " _
    not found.", vbCritical
    GETENTRY = CVErr(xlErrNA)
    Exit Function
    End If

    GETENTRY = inTable(i, j)

    End Function

    Here's the problem: It works fine if invoked directly, but if I use Excel's
    Paste (Insert) function dialogue box, then as soon as I click on the top
    left corner of the range for the 3rd arg (inTable), it triggers the error
    message.

    (Actually, it doesn't exit the function as I expect either, instead it
    flashes the message and waits for new input. Hitting the cancel
    button on the dialogue box triggers the message again. But that's
    a whole nuther confusion and I don't want to get side-tracked.)

    I can avoid this outcome in 3 ways:

    a) enter one of the other two args as the last one specified in the dialogue
    box,
    b) remove the On Error Resume Next statement, or
    c) and this is really wierd, remove the MsgBox statement.

    Choice a) is clearly not reasonable - I can't expect others to know that
    trick - and choices b) & c) frustrate my *truly wonderful* error handling.

    ('course, the only reason I found out about this bug is that I was so
    excited to see Excel list MY FUNCTION that I just had to try it. Hubrous
    was my downfall.)

    I'm really confused about this, especially the REM'ing out the msgbox part.
    Does anyone have any idea about what's going on.

  2. #2
    George Raft
    Guest

    Re: User-defined function clitch ...

    Forgot to mention two things: I'm working in xl97, and Dave, if you see this
    and it seems familiar, the earlier question was from me trying to compare
    the speed of my function with direct calls to the native spreadsheet
    functions (turns out to be about half as fast). Your answers helped me
    rethink the function itself, thanks.
    Tony

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: User-defined function clitch ...

    You may have noticed the when you're editing a cell, many of the icons on the
    toolbars are disabled. You can have your function test an icon. (I think that
    this was suggested by Jan Karel Pieterse:

    Option Explicit
    Function GETENTRY(atRow As Variant, _
    atCol As Variant, _
    inTable As Range) As Variant

    Dim i As Long, j As Long

    If Application.CommandBars(1).FindControl(ID:=23, Recursive:=True).Enabled _
    = False Then
    Exit Function
    End If

    On Error Resume Next
    With Application
    i = .Match(atRow, inTable.Columns(1), 0)
    j = .Match(atCol, inTable.Rows(1), 0)
    End With

    If Err <> 0 Then
    'MsgBox "One of " & atRow & " or " & atCol & "not found.", vbCritical
    GETENTRY = CVErr(xlErrNA)
    Exit Function
    End If

    GETENTRY = inTable(i, j)

    End Function

    And I would be very wary about putting that message box into your function. If
    you have lots of formulas that refer to the same table and you change a heading
    row, you may be dismissing these message boxes for a longgggggg time.

  4. #4
    George Raft
    Guest

    Re: User-defined function clitch ...

    Good point about the messages - hadn't thought about that, and it is
    intended for use in many tables. Of course, if I remove it, the problem
    goes away (why, I don't understand), but thaar ya go.

    I also don't understand what the proposed test is doing, or how we know the
    Paste Function dialogue box is the first in the CMDbars collection, but I'll
    fiddle with it a bit to see if I can't learn something.

    Thanks again.
    Tony

    news:[email protected]...

    _

  5. #5
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: User-defined function clitch ...

    The function wizard calls the specified function *during* data entry by
    the user. It is called as soon as the user enters something in the
    last non-optional field (*something* as in *any* thing). Your function
    has to be able to handle that. That means that the use of Msgbox can
    be extremely disruptive. So, it is not weird that removing the Msgbox
    fixes the problem. Also, if I were you, I would not relegate the
    informative error message to a interruptive msgbox but actually return
    the information(instead of the oh-so-60s #N/A or #VALUE stuff)

    To see how the function wizard works, note that in its dialog box, the
    result of the function are shown *twice.* The first display is to the
    right of and just below the area where the arguments are specified.
    The second is towards the bottom left of the dialog box where it reads
    "Formula result=". In fact the function is *called* twice. This
    becomes very obvious with the following two functions. Try using them
    with the function wizard and observe when the wizard starts displaying
    the results as well as what the results are.

    Function getRand(a, b, c)
    getRand = Rnd()
    End Function
    Function getRandOpt(Optional a, Optional b, Optional c)
    getRandOpt = Rnd()
    End Function

    Also, you could better leverage the error handling and not leave it to
    the user to guess what didn't work.

    If I were in your shoes, I would code your function along the lines of:

    Function GETENTRY(atRow As Double, atCol As Double, _
    inTable As Range) As Variant
    Dim i As Long, j As Long
    On Error Resume Next
    With Application.WorksheetFunction
    i = .Match(atRow, inTable.Columns(1), 0)
    j = .Match(atCol, inTable.Rows(1), 0)
    End With
    On Error GoTo 0
    If i = 0 Then
    GETENTRY = "atRow value (" & atRow & ") not found"
    ElseIf j = 0 Then
    GETENTRY = "atCol value (" & atCol & ") not found"
    Else
    GETENTRY = inTable(i, j)
    End If
    End Function

    The above function works for direct data entry or through the function
    wizard.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

  6. #6

    Re: User-defined function clitch ...

    Start typing anything into a cell--but don't hit enter.

    Now click on File on the worksheet menubar.
    Look at the "Open..." menu item. Notice that it's greyed out.

    This menuitem gets checked in this line:
    If Application.CommandBars(1).FindControl(ID:=23, Recursive:=True).Enabled _

    If it's greyed out (.enabled = false), then get out of your function.

  7. #7
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: User-defined function clitch ...

    > Paste Function dialogue box is the first in the CMDbars collection

    It isn't. The Worksheet Menu Bar is the first member of the commandbars
    collection.

    Tom Ogilvy