Can I use AND like this

  1. #1

    Can I use AND like this

    like a bitwise and,

    I've definded constants const_add 1, const_sub 2, const_div 4 ,, 8 , 10 , 20
    etc

    if CheckBox_Add.Value = True Then
    lChecks = lChecks And const_Add
    End If

    If CheckBox_Sub.Value = True Then
    lChecks = lChecks And const_Sub
    End If

    I'd like pass lChecks to a function and have that function do something like

    if lChecks and const_add = true then

    It all looks ok but my lines like lChecks = lChecks And const_Add don't set
    lChecks to anything

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Can I use AND like this

    To set the bit, add the constant to lChecks

    lChecks = lChecks + const_Sub

    From the immediate window:

    lchecks = lchecks + 4 + 8
    ? lchecks and 2
    0
    ? lchecks and 4
    4
    ? lchecks and 8
    8
    ? lchecks and 16
    0
    ? lchecks and 1

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:%[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Can I use AND like this

    You need to Or not And. An alternative would be to add the values as
    in lChecks=lChecks + Const_Add

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <#[email protected]>, [email protected]
    says...

  4. #4

    Re: Can I use AND like this

    Thanks Tom that worked perfectly.

    Happy New Year

    Best Regards
    Dave

    news:%[email protected]...

  5. #5

    Re: Can I use AND like this

    Actually it's not working like I thought

    lchecks = lchecks + 2
    ?lchecks and 2
    0

  6. #6
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Can I use AND like this

    How have you declard lchecks?

    It works just fine for me for types byte, long, and variant.

    If lchecks is a boolean, VBA treats the assignment as setting it to
    true, i.e., -1 or all bits on or &HFFFF. The result is that all tests
    (lchecks and {whatever}) will be true.

    So, in no case can I duplicate your problem of getting zero.

  7. #7
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Can I use AND like this

    lchecks = lchecks + 2
    ?lchecks and 2
    2

    Works for me.

    I assume you are testing this in the immediate window.

    ,

  8. #8

    Re: Can I use AND like this

    I am using longs

    here look at this

    Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

    Dim const_One As Long
    Dim const_Two As Long
    Dim const_Four As Long
    Dim const_Eight As Long
    Dim const_Ten As Long
    Dim const_Twenty As Long

    const_Ten = 10
    const_Two = 2

    Dim lchecks As Long

    lchecks = lchecks + const_Ten

    If (lchecks And const_Two) = const_Two Then
    MsgBox ("it failed")
    Else
    MsgBox ("it worked")

    the result of the IF line is 2 where I think it should be 0.

    Thanks

    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9

    Re: Can I use AND like this

    I was in the immediate window but I was changing the values of the first
    line without hitting enter so it wasn't taking effect. My bad. Sorry

  10. #10
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Can I use AND like this

    The reason you are getting two will become obvious once you write 10 in
    binary! {g} If I were in your shoes, I would stick to powers of 2. (1,
    2, 4, 8, 16, etc., and, of course, zero)

  11. #11

    Re: Can I use AND like this

    ahh I see now. I must of been thinking 10 in hexidecimal.