Characters

  1. #1
    Ren
    Guest

    Characters

    Happy New Year to All

    I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me what is the maximum
    number of characters one could place in a textbox.

    Thanks for your help.

    Cheers

    Ren

  2. #2
    Sharad Naik
    Guest

    Re: Characters

    2,147,483,647

    Sharad

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ren
    Guest

    Re: Characters

    Thanks Sharad

    I got this LABEL, that when you click on it drops a text in a cells that I
    merged.

    Something like this:

    Private Sub Label17_Click()
    Sheet9.Range("A7").Value = ""
    End Sub

    When I try to put the text between the quotes, the maximum number of
    characters that it lets me is 990.

    Any suggestions????

    Again thanks

    Cheers

    Ren

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Characters

    What happens when you exceed 990. Do you get an error? What is the error -
    please be more descriptive.

    Tom Ogilvy

  5. #5
    Ren
    Guest

    Re: Characters

    Hi Tom and thanks for your support.

    Has soon as put the text between the quotes, the text it self goes to the
    next line and the text become red with one quote at the end, and
    «Sheet9.Range("A7").Value = ""» stay the same.

    There is no error message, nothing to tell you what wrong.

    I hope that this would give you a hint.

    Again thanks

    Cheers

    Ren

  6. #6
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Characters

    It think you would just need to break it into pieces. This is apparently a
    limitation of the editor in the VBE.

    To demo from the immediate window:

    sStr = "abcd" & _
    "efgh" & _
    "ijkl" & _
    "mnop" & _
    "qrstuvwxyz"
    ? sStr
    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

    Also, I don't really know what the line limit in the editor is, so that may
    not be the case. If you have double quotes embedded in your string, those
    could be causeing the problem. For example if I had a string

    abcdef"ghijk

    and I put it between "" it would cause a problem

    double quotes in string must be double quoted

    "abcdef""ghijk"

    for example.

    Tom Ogilvy

  7. #7
    Ren
    Guest

    Re: Characters

    Thanks Tom I'll give it a shot and let you know what happen.

    Ren

  8. #8
    Ren
    Guest

    Re: Characters

    Hi Tom

    The same thing happened.

    I seperated the paragraph in three parts, the first two no problem, but the
    third went red just like before. When I removed the right amount of text then
    it works fine.

    Ren

  9. #9
    Sharad Naik
    Guest

    Re: Characters

    To confirm (I mean for you) what Tom posted,
    it seems to be the limitation of the editor.
    In Excel 2003 the editor can take max. of 1022 characters in a single line.
    And that including number of characters in the variable + number of spaces
    + the "=" sign.
    So no wonder with the Sheet9. ....etc = and the quote marks it allows you
    only 990 character of the actual string.

    As Tom suggested you need to cut the line with & _
    Now & _ takes another 4 characters (including a space before '&' ). So
    instead of 990 character you assing
    only 986 characters in the first line and 1016 character from next line
    onward (1022 minus 4 for & _ + 2 for the quote marks)

    Sharad

    news:[email protected]...

  10. #10
    Ren