Simple Dumb Question: App.ScreenUpdating

  1. #1
    Steph
    Guest

    Simple Dumb Question: App.ScreenUpdating

    Hi everyone. I have a question about Application.ScreenUpdating. I run a
    bunch of subs from one main sub:

    Sub Main()
    Application.ScreenUpdating=False
    sub1
    sub2
    sub3
    Application.ScreenUpdating=True
    end sub

    Does the Application.ScreenUpdating carry through to all 3 subs that are
    called from the Main, or should I have that in each of the 3 subs? Thank
    you!!

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Simple Dumb Question: App.ScreenUpdating

    You could check it:

    Public Sub CheckSU()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    test1
    test2
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    End Sub

    Public Sub test1()
    MsgBox "test1: " & Application.ScreenUpdating
    End Sub
    Public Sub test2()
    MsgBox "test2: " & Application.ScreenUpdating
    End Sub

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Simple Dumb Question: App.ScreenUpdating

    Should carry through.

    There is a possibility that your subs call a function that turns it back on,
    but otherwise it should carry through.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Steph
    Guest

    Re: Simple Dumb Question: App.ScreenUpdating

    Thanks guys. The test showed that it does in fact carry through. The subs
    that the main calls do a lot of opening and closing of files. So I still
    see the screen popping back and forth as files are opened and closed. I
    guess there's no way to prevent that from happening....at least
    App.ScreenUpdating doesn't seem to prevent it.

    news:%[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Simple Dumb Question: App.ScreenUpdating

    I have opened and closed files with screen updating turned off many times
    and it did not affect the setting nor did I see any activity. So doing
    that alone should not affect it.