saving an excel file as an ASCII text file without delimiters

  1. #1
    Sewellst
    Guest

    saving an excel file as an ASCII text file without delimiters

    I am new to this group, so have some patience with my stupidity regarding
    Excel. I have read much about converting Excel files to other formats, but
    can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. ? - How (or is it possible)
    to save an Excel data file as an ASCII text file without any delimiters at
    all. I.E. I want my Excel data file to be represented as a pure text file
    with rows to be continuous/contiguous data fields and the row ending with a
    carriage return/line feed.

    Thank you for your time and help,
    Scott Sewell
    Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board

  2. #2
    Dick Kusleika
    Guest

    Re: saving an excel file as an ASCII text file without delimiters

    Scott:

    You can create your own via VBA similar to this:

    http://www.*****-blog.com/archives/2...-your-own-csv/

    This shows how to create a CSV, but you can change the code to create
    whatever field, delimeters you want.

    --
    **** Kusleika
    Excel MVP

  3. #3
    Sewellst
    Guest

    Re: saving an excel file as an ASCII text file without delimiters

    Thank you ****. I'll look into this. I suspected that I would have to do
    some creative coding, other than a "point and click" choice within Excel. I
    appreciate your time in helping me out. Have a Happy New Year.

    Scott

  4. #4
    Dick Kusleika
    Guest

    Re: saving an excel file as an ASCII text file without delimiters

    Scott

    I assumed you wanted a VBA solution because you posted in .programming.
    (You said you were new, I just didn't listen).

    But my answers the same because I don't think you can do what you want
    through the user interface. Let me know if you have trouble modifying the
    code to suit your needs.

    --
    **** Kusleika
    Excel MVP

  5. #5
    Sewellst
    Guest

    Re: saving an excel file as an ASCII text file without delimiters

    Morning ****,

    Sorry I did not get back to you after you responded here. I left the
    building!

    Anyhow, I will work with your code today and give it a test run. I believe
    it will suffice for what I intended. Again, thanks for helping me out. I
    was looking for a quick fix, and you gave me just that.

    'Preciate the help,
    Scott