Closed Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Open Powerpoint Presentation via Excel VBA code

  1. #1
    hurlbut777
    Guest

    Open Powerpoint Presentation via Excel VBA code

    I have an excel macro in which I would like to open a powerpoint presentation
    based upon a selection made in a drop-down box. The code I have so far is
    below, I just don't know how to tell excel how to open the presentation.
    Thanks.

    Private Sub Business_Plan_Change()
    Workbooks.Open Filename:="F:\Reports\" & Business_Plan.Value & ".ppt"
    End Sub

  2. #2
    Andy Tischaefer [MSFT]
    Guest

    Re: Open Powerpoint Presentation via Excel VBA code

    It looks as though the code you have below is trying to open a PPT file in
    Excel. From what you've written, I don't think that's what you actually
    want to do.

    To open a PPT presentation by running code in Excel, you need to do four
    things - add a reference to the powerpoint object model, boot powerpoint,
    make powerpoint visible, and then open the file you want.

    To add the reference:
    Open VBE (Alt F11)
    Tools / References
    Scan down for "Microsoft Powerpoint <version> Object Library"
    Check the box
    Click OK

    Once you've added the reference, the following code should do what you want:

    Private Sub Business_Plan_Change()
    Dim PPT As PowerPoint.Application
    Set PPT = New PowerPoint.Application
    PPT.Visible = True
    PPT.Presentations.Open Filename:="F:\Reports\" & Business_Plan.Value &
    ".ppt"
    End Sub

    Hope that helps.

    - Andy Tischaefer
    Test Lead, Microsoft Office

    This posting is provided as is, and confers no rights.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    hurlbut777
    Guest

    Re: Open Powerpoint Presentation via Excel VBA code

    When I follow the prescribed instructions, I get a run-time error
    '-2147467259 (80004005)'; PowerPoint could not open the file

  4. #4
    Andy Tischaefer [MSFT]
    Guest

    Re: Open Powerpoint Presentation via Excel VBA code

    That error indicates that the path you're providing to your powerpoint file
    is not valid. To debug, you might try:

    dim filepath as string
    filepath = "F:\Reports\" & Business_Plan.Value & ".ppt"

    and then verify that filepath is what you expect to be, and that it is
    pointing to a valid file.

  5. #5
    New Delhi
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Re: Open Powerpoint Presentation via Excel VBA code

    Hi Andy,

    I have done all the steps you have given below, still facing the issue of Error 429 which says "ActiveX component can't create object". Can you please help.

    Thanks
    Yogesh.

  6. #6
    Forum Guru Andy Pope's Avatar
    Essex, UK
    MS-Off Ver
    O365
    Posts
    20,419

    Re: Open Powerpoint Presentation via Excel VBA code

    Your post does not comply with Rule 2 of our Forum RULES. Don't post a question in the thread of another member -- start your own thread. If you feel it's particularly relevant, provide a link to the other thread.

    Don't expect a Guest member, from +5 years ago, to be by any time soon.

    Start your own thread detailing your problem, posting code (using tags) and example file(s) to help us help you.
    Cheers
    Andy
    www.andypope.info

Closed Thread