duplicate last name and date of birth

  1. #1
    DisperatelySeekingFormula
    Guest

    duplicate last name and date of birth

    Need help with a formula, please, I have a MS Excel spreadsheet with

    A1=LAST NAME
    B2=DATE OF BIRTH

    and I need a formula to show me all instances where the last name AND the
    date of birth repeat. I found EXACT formulas, AND formulas, OR formulas, and
    even used Conditional Formating with a COUNTIF formula. But non of them are
    able to perform a cross comparision or at least I don't know how to enter it
    properly.

  2. #2
    David
    Guest

    RE: duplicate last name and date of birth

    Hi,
    This is not a formula solution. Sort the records and then
    Data/Filter/Advanced filter/Unique Records Only. Not exactly sure what you
    are trying to accomplish in the end, but maybe this will help.

  3. #3
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: duplicate last name and date of birth

    Assuming you have a typo in your message and the DOB is in fact in B1 (not
    B2), one way is to use a helper column containing this formula which gets the
    name and DOB together into one cell:

    =A1&" "&TEXT(B1,"yyyymmdd")

    If the layout is correct as you show it (instead of the data for one person in
    two columns in the same row), you are making your life much more difficult. If
    that's the case, you've got to create a list that has the name and DOB for
    each person, without blanks.