URGENT: Mac/PC Macro compatibility problem

  1. #1
    marika1981
    Guest

    URGENT: Mac/PC Macro compatibility problem

    I'm having serious problems opening a macro-rich spreadsheet created on a Mac
    on a PC. The file opens fine on the Mac with Excel 10.1.0, but it crashes
    Excel 2000 on a PC upon opening, even if the macros are disabled.

    Any ideas?? I'd be eternally grateful, as I'm in DEEP trouble if I don't
    solve this problem....

    Thank you so much......

  2. #2
    Fredrik Wahlgren
    Guest

    Re: URGENT: Mac/PC Macro compatibility problem

    "marika1981" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm having serious problems opening a macro-rich spreadsheet created on a

    Mac
    > on a PC. The file opens fine on the Mac with Excel 10.1.0, but it crashes
    > Excel 2000 on a PC upon opening, even if the macros are disabled.
    >
    > Any ideas?? I'd be eternally grateful, as I'm in DEEP trouble if I don't
    > solve this problem....
    >
    > Thank you so much......

    Try these suggestions.

    /Fredrik

  3. #3
    Fredrik Wahlgren
    Guest

    Re: URGENT: Mac/PC Macro compatibility problem

    "marika1981" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm having serious problems opening a macro-rich spreadsheet created on a

    Mac
    > on a PC. The file opens fine on the Mac with Excel 10.1.0, but it crashes
    > Excel 2000 on a PC upon opening, even if the macros are disabled.
    >
    > Any ideas?? I'd be eternally grateful, as I'm in DEEP trouble if I don't
    > solve this problem....
    >
    > Thank you so much......

    Does this happen on a particular PC or on any PC? The file could be dmaged
    somehow. Here's alink to a program that may help.
    http://www.cimaware.com/download.html
    /Fredrik

  4. #4
    marika1981
    Guest

    Re: URGENT: Mac/PC Macro compatibility problem

    Many thanks, but no luck at that site. still looking......

  5. #5
    Fredrik Wahlgren
    Guest

    Re: URGENT: Mac/PC Macro compatibility problem

    "marika1981" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm having serious problems opening a macro-rich spreadsheet created on a

    Mac
    > on a PC. The file opens fine on the Mac with Excel 10.1.0, but it crashes
    > Excel 2000 on a PC upon opening, even if the macros are disabled.
    >
    > Any ideas?? I'd be eternally grateful, as I'm in DEEP trouble if I don't
    > solve this problem....
    >
    > Thank you so much......

    One thing that you may want to try is to export the workbook in a piecemeal
    fashion. The idea is to open the workbook and the first sheet. Press CTRL+A
    to copy it and then open a new document in which you paste it. Save the
    workbook with the same name as the sheet. Do this for every sheet in the
    workbook. You will end up with as many workbooks as there are sheets in your
    original workbook. The macros can be saved in text format

    You should then see if each sheet opens. If they all do, you can then
    reassemble the original workbook . This should be doable unless you have too
    many sheets or if some sheets refers to other sheets.

    It may be a good idea to start with one sheet only and see if it opens. It's
    quite possible that Excel 2000 on the PC is damaged somehow.

    /Fredrik

  6. #6
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: URGENT: Mac/PC Macro compatibility problem

    Marika, happy to take a look at the file if you want to send me a copy and
    it's of reasonable size (Zip if necessary). Not used a MAC so no promises,
    but always happy to try. Need to take the NOSPAM out of my email address.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

  7. #7
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: URGENT: Mac/PC Macro compatibility problem

    You may send me the file if you wish. I use both Mac and WinXL.

    In article <[email protected]>,

  8. #8
    Postman
    Guest

    Re: URGENT: Mac/PC Macro compatibility problem

    | One thing that you may want to try is to export the workbook in a
    piecemeal
    | fashion. The idea is to open the workbook and the first sheet. Press
    CTRL+A
    | to copy it and then open a new document in which you paste it. Save the
    | workbook with the same name as the sheet. Do this for every sheet in the
    | workbook. You will end up with as many workbooks as there are sheets in
    your
    | original workbook. The macros can be saved in text format

    That's exactly the way I have done it when I've had problems.

    First for me would be to save a COPY of the workbook with all the
    codemodules deleted and just see if that worked. If not then I'd do them
    sheet by sheet.

    If it's the code modules that are causing problems, exporting them as text
    and rebuilding them seems to cure it most times.

    John Stamp