Using Checkboxes

  1. #1
    Brad
    Guest

    Using Checkboxes

    Alright, I have a user form that has 8 Check boxes. These are broken down
    into 3 categories. Contract Type (2 boxes), Service Level (3 Boxes) and Term
    Length (3 boxes). I am using the checkboxes to give the users a chance to
    compare different types with different Levels and Length. All together there
    are over 20 different configurations(comparisons) they can choose. What is
    the best option to acheive this? Should I create a Sub Routine based on the
    Indvidual boxes, or create a sub routine based on a selected combination of
    boxes (for instance, they select Type 1, Level 2 and Length 3)? I have never
    used checkboxes before. I hope this makes sense. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Using Checkboxes

    I think you are going to run into a problem using check boxes as the user can
    chose more than 1 checkbox for each category (which as a guess should not be
    allowed) You are more likely looking for Radio Buttons (Round circles). These
    will allow only one choice per category. You will have to define three groups
    for the radio buttons to belong to. After that you will have some sort of a
    button or event to trigger some kind of action based on the 3 categoreis. You
    will probably want to use a Select Case statement in that procedure to do
    whatever appropraite action based on the values of the radio buttons.

    HTH

  3. #3
    Brad
    Guest

    RE: Using Checkboxes

    Jim, thanks for the response. Actually, I do want them to be able to select
    multiple boxes in each category. This is for quoting purposes and for example
    the first Category is Type: which is Enhanced or Non-Enhanced. So if the user
    selects both, then 2 quotes would run, 1 creating Enhanced and the other
    creating Non-Enhanced. So would it be better (lesser of 2 evils?) to program
    based on the checkboxes or based on the 20+ cominations available.

  4. #4
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Using Checkboxes

    I would go with the checkboxes to make it easier for the end user. You can
    either make the program simpler or the end user smarter. I have never had
    much luck making the end user smarter...

    That having been said you are goping to end up with a heck of a lot of code,
    that will require very thourough testing of all 20 possible variations. You
    may want to make 20 seperate private routines to account for all of the
    different combinations. If you try to make it one big routine you will go
    nuts.

    Good Luck...

    HTH

  5. #5
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Using Checkboxes

    There are probably some mutually exclusie combinations. Use the on_click
    event to set enable = false on any checkboxes that would not be appropriate
    based on the current selection. By controlling what the user can do you will
    decrease the amount of coding you will have to do...

    HTH

  6. #6
    Brad
    Guest

    RE: Using Checkboxes

    I figured that it would be a mess. Jim, thanks for your help, it is greatly
    appreciated!