Error setting FaceId of CommandbarButton

  1. #1

    Error setting FaceId of CommandbarButton

    I have used a value of 6136 for btn.FaceId. This works fine in Excel
    2003, and I think it's OK in XL2002, but a user with XL2000 is
    reporting Error 80004005. I got them to change it to a smaller number
    and it worked OK (except obviously they get the wrong icon).
    Any idea what is causing this error?
    Is there a maximum value for FaceId, that varies depending on the
    version of Excel? If so, what are the limits for the different
    versions?
    Number 6136 isn't particularly good for what I want anyway. Can anyone
    suggest a better icon for launching a tool that performs various types
    of analysis to identify and label certain data points in an Excel
    Chart?

    Thanks
    Phil.

  2. #2
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Error setting FaceId of CommandbarButton

    Hi Phil,

    There is substantial disparity in the range of faceids between xl2k and
    latest versions.

    Norman

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: Error setting FaceId of CommandbarButton

    Phil,

    I use #2138 in my "Chart Data Labels" program.
    Also, #2128 looks usable.
    At times, I have spent much effort finding the right icon;
    however, I doubt if it really makes much difference to the user.

    "Chart Data Labels" xl Add-in available -free- upon direct request.
    Adds linked formatted data labels to a chart series;
    moves or positions labels.
    Remove xxx from my email address.

    Regards,
    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA
    [email protected]XX

  4. #4

    Re: Error setting FaceId of CommandbarButton

    Thanks Jim,

    2138 & 2128 look like possibilities. I was also considering 435.
    Thanks for the offer of your code. I wasn't planning on changing the
    code for labelling the points (this was written years ago (in VB6) and
    still seems to be working OK at the moment) I've just recently added a
    toolbar in another project which was causing this particular problem. I
    may well be doing some work in this area in the near future though, so
    I may be in touch about taking a peek at your addin.

    Cheers,
    Phil.