Password protect an excel file?

  1. #1
    Guest

    Password protect an excel file?

    Is this possible...I tried clicking 'properties'....'sharing' but it seems a
    bit messy as I have 30 employees who need toa access the document.

    I wish to give read only access to 27 employees and read write to 3
    employees.

    - Jason

  2. #2
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Guest

    Re: Password protect an excel file?

    Hi,

    > Is this possible...I tried clicking 'properties'....'sharing' but it seems a
    > bit messy as I have 30 employees who need toa access the document.

    Don't!!!!

    Excel is VERY unreliable when it comes to multi-user use. Loss of data,
    corruption of the file is your destiny if you take this path.

    Seriously consider doing this with e.g. Access.

    > I wish to give read only access to 27 employees and read write to 3
    > employees.

    Put it in a network folder and set permissions to the entire folder
    accordingly.

    Regards,

    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP
    www.jkp-ads.com

  3. #3
    Gary Brown
    Guest

    RE: Password protect an excel file?

    Jason,
    I agree with Jan.
    That said...
    While in the file, select FILE / SAVE AS / TOOLS / GENERAL OPTIONS, then set
    one password for 'Password to Open' and another for 'Password to Modify'.
    HTH,
    Gary Brown

  4. #4
    Chicago, US
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Re: Password protect an excel file?

    Couldnt you default the all the cells to "locked" and then give those three employees the pass word to unlock it? This would prevent the other 27 from editing the document.
    Choose all the cells and then right click to Format Cells. Go to Protection and check off all the cells to "locked." Then go to Tools, the Protection menu should be a drop down and choose that. Check off your protection criteria and create a password. Now the document should be accessible, but uneditable to those 27. It is then only editable to you and anyone else that knows your password.