Menus

  1. #1
    TK
    Guest

    Menus

    Hi:
    In an effort to make a workbook less intimidating
    I would like to make invisible (actually removed not
    dimmed) all Toolbars including the Worksheet Menu Bar
    and Formula Bar when a workbook is opened then display
    a customized Worksheet Menu Bar and Standard Menu Bar.
    At the workbook close I world like to restore (not reset)
    the users menu setup.
    I know how to add and delete Worksheet Menu Items and
    create toolbars with VBA but isn’t there a way to use or retain
    and use the basics such as File/save and Tools/Spelling without
    writing code or macros for each one.

    Thanks
    TK

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Menus

    If you are customizing the existing worksheet menu bar, then just don't
    remove the controls you want to retain.

    If you are building new "worksheet menu bar", then just add the standard
    controls you want to use.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    TK
    Guest

    Re: Menus

    Thanks Tom

    I think I need more of a stick by stick procedure. Say for example
    I wanted to customize Worksheet Menu Bar, I think I choose
    View/Toolbars/customize then Worksheet Menu Bar then new, delete
    the controls not needed and save it as "NewMenu" for example.
    The next step:
    I assume it is loaded in the Workbook Open and deleted in the Workbook
    close sommthing like?
    Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Application.CommandBars("NewMenu").Visible = True
    End Sub

    Now will the original menus load the next time Excel loads if this workbook
    is not opened?

    Thanks
    TK

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Menus

    There is no saveAs option for commandbars. If you do the customize route,
    then your changes will be saved in the .xlb file and the bar will be remain
    in that customized state until someone resets it or moves/renames the .xlb
    file or re-cusstomizes it.

    there are many ways to go with this so maybe a little background information
    might be inorder

    This is a good place to start although not a tutorial:
    File Title: Customizing Menu Bars, Menus, and Menu Items in Microsoft(R)
    Excel 97
    File Name: WE1183.EXE
    File Size: 58041 bytes
    File Date: 06/20/97
    Visual Basic(R) for Applications code to customize menus in Microsoft Excel
    97. This Application Note contains code examples that you can use with the
    following elements: menu bars, menus, menu items, submenus, and shortcut
    menus.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/of...97/web/008.htm
    MS Officer 97 Programmer's Guide
    Chapter 8: Menus and Toolbars

    Here is an article about creating commandbars with code:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/techart/ofcmdbar.htm

    http://support.microsoft.com/default...02&Product=xlw
    How to customize menus and menu bars in Excel

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=159619
    XL97: Sample Macros for Customizing Menus and Submenus

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=213550
    XL2000: Sample Macros for Customizing Menus and Submenus

  5. #5
    TK
    Guest

    Re: Menus

    Thanks Tom

    If I can indulge you with one more question:
    I book marked those sites. One I think explains how to build a
    "Worksheet Menu Bar" with code.
    As you pointed out in your first reply building toolbars is pretty
    straight forward; however, I haven't been able to replicate either
    the "Worksheet Menu Bar" or the "Chart Menu Bar". Do these have
    to be built with code or can they be duplicated in the customized
    box.

    Thanks again
    TK

  6. #6
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Menus

    the type property determines if it is a "Worksheet Menu Bar" type. the
    type is: msoBarTypeMenuBar

    You could possibly create this with code, then go into customize mode and
    drag (copy) commandbars to it.

    Here is some code modified from

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...commandbar.asp

    this only copies the top level controls when you do it for the Worksheet
    menu bar so it will need some work - this isn't an area I have done a lot of
    work in so someone else may have a better idea.

    Sub Tester1()
    Dim sOriginal As String
    Dim sCopy As String
    sOriginal = "Worksheet Menu Bar"
    sCopy = "New Worksheet Menu Bar"
    CBCopyCommandBar sOriginal, sCopy, True

    End Sub

    Function CBCopyCommandBar(strOrigCBName As String, _
    strNewCBName As String, _
    Optional blnShowBar As Boolean = False) As Boolean

    ' This procedure copies the command bar named in the strOrigCBName
    ' argument to a new command bar specified in the strNewCBName argument.

    Dim cbrOriginal As CommandBar
    Dim cbrCopy As CommandBar
    Dim ctlCBarControl As CommandBarControl
    Dim lngBarType As Long

    On Error GoTo CBCopy_Err

    Set cbrOriginal = CommandBars(strOrigCBName)

    lngBarType = cbrOriginal.Type
    Select Case lngBarType
    Case msoBarTypeMenuBar
    Set cbrCopy = CommandBars.Add(Name:=strNewCBName,
    Position:=msoBarMenuBar)
    Case msoBarTypePopup
    Set cbrCopy = CommandBars.Add(Name:=strNewCBName,
    Position:=msoBarPopup)
    Case Else
    Set cbrCopy = CommandBars.Add(Name:=strNewCBName)
    End Select

    ' Copy controls to new command bar.
    For Each ctlCBarControl In cbrOriginal.Controls
    ctlCBarControl.Copy cbrCopy
    Next ctlCBarControl

    ' Show new command bar.
    If blnShowBar = True Then
    If cbrCopy.Type = msoBarTypePopup Then
    cbrCopy.ShowPopup
    ElseIf cbrCopy.Type = msoBarTypeNormal Then
    cbrCopy.Visible = True
    ElseIf cbrCopy.Type = msoBarTypeMenuBar Then
    cbrOriginal.Enabled = False
    cbrCopy.Visible = True
    cbrCopy.Enabled = True
    CBCopyCommandBar = True
    CBCopy_End:
    Exit Function
    CBCopy_Err:
    CBCopyCommandBar = False
    Resume CBCopy_End
    End Function

    Tom Ogilvy

    "TK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks Tom
    >
    > If I can indulge you with one more question:
    > I book marked those sites. One I think explains how to build a
    > "Worksheet Menu Bar" with code.
    > As you pointed out in your first reply building toolbars is pretty
    > straight forward; however, I haven't been able to replicate either
    > the "Worksheet Menu Bar" or the "Chart Menu Bar". Do these have
    > to be built with code or can they be duplicated in the customized
    > box.
    >
    > Thanks again
    > TK
    >

    > "Tom Ogilvy" wrote:
    >
    > > There is no saveAs option for commandbars. If you do the customize

    route,
    > > then your changes will be saved in the .xlb file and the bar will be

    remain
    > > in that customized state until someone resets it or moves/renames the

    ..xlb
    > > file or re-cusstomizes it.
    > >
    > > there are many ways to go with this so maybe a little background

    information
    > > might be inorder
    > >

    > > This is a good place to start although not a tutorial:
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;166755
    > > File Title: Customizing Menu Bars, Menus, and Menu Items in Microsoft(R)
    > > Excel 97
    > > File Name: WE1183.EXE
    > > File Size: 58041 bytes
    > > File Date: 06/20/97

    writing

  7. #7
    TK
    Guest

    Re: Menus

    Thanks Tom

    Your comment

    >there are many ways to go with this

    becomes more obvious with each article I read and I have been
    researching this on and off for a week or so.
    I also though I would receive a reply from a menu person.
    I have seen some pretty good replies concerning menus
    in the post I researched.
    Anyway I think I have enough info and test examples now
    to go forward.

    Thanks again for your time, very much appreciated!
    TK

  8. #8
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Menus

    Ron de Bruin might have some better first hand experience for you. He
    seemed to be doing "dictator" applications when he first started posting
    here, so replacing the Worksheet Menu Bar would be a standard for that type
    of app.

    I don't think he addesses that here, but there is some good information:

    http://www.rondebruin.com/menuid.htm

    send him an email and I am sure he can give you some good advice.

  9. #9
    TK
    Guest

    Re: Menus

    Hi Tom

    Ron de Bruin is one of the menu people I was referring to, I
    have been to his website and his approach using menu ID’s
    rather than names is more dynamic. I’ll solicit him through
    his web site to see if he is interested or if he does this type of
    fee based worked.
    I would also like to have the main workbook review and critiqued.
    This is a commercial application that I’m updating from a dos 123
    app to a windows excel app.
    If you do this type of fee based consultation and or work post
    back or email me at [email protected] and we can arrange a
    mutually convenience time to discus it.

    Thanks
    TK

  10. #10
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Menus

    Hi Tom

    > seemed to be doing "dictator" applications when he first started posting

    That was fun Tom<g>

    I post back in this thread if we have a solution for TK

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  11. #11
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Menus

    I send this tip to TK to only have certain options enabled in the worksheet menu bar

    Hi Thomas

    Try something like this
    Use the links that Tom posted to add your own menu controls.

    Run the sub tester to test
    Run the second sub to enabled everything

    You can run the code in the Activate and deactivate event in the thisworkbook module

    Sub Tester()
    Dim IDnum As Variant
    Dim N As Integer
    Dim ctrl_1 As CommandBarControl
    Dim ctrl_2 As CommandBarControl

    For Each ctrl_1 In Application.CommandBars(1).controls
    For Each ctrl_2 In ctrl_1.controls
    On Error Resume Next
    ctrl_2.Enabled = False
    On Error Resume Next
    Next ctrl_2
    Next ctrl_1

    IDnum = Array("18", "23", "106", "3", "748", "30255", "109", "30095", "752", _
    "21", "19", "22", "755", "478", "1849", "313", "849", "850", "2")

    For N = LBound(IDnum) To UBound(IDnum)
    On Error Resume Next
    Application.CommandBars(1).FindControl(ID:=IDnum(N), _
    Recursive:=True).Enabled = True
    On Error GoTo 0
    Next N
    Application.CommandBars("Toolbar List").Enabled = False
    End Sub

    Sub All_Controls_Enabled_True()
    Dim ctrl_1 As CommandBarControl
    Dim ctrl_2 As CommandBarControl
    For Each ctrl_1 In Application.CommandBars(1).controls
    For Each ctrl_2 In ctrl_1.controls
    On Error Resume Next
    ctrl_2.Enabled = True
    On Error Resume Next
    Next ctrl_2
    Next ctrl_1
    Application.CommandBars("Toolbar List").Enabled = True

    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  12. #12
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Menus

    I update the page with a few new examples

  13. #13
    TK
    Guest

    Re: Menus

    Hi Ron

    As you indicated in your email

    >�I also added the examples to my site�

    http://www.rondebruin.com/menuid.htm

    I picked up the last procedure needed from your website.

    The complete menu manipulation I was trying to accomplish
    that you wrote the procedures for works great.

    My sincere thanks for the procedures and an excellent Job.

    Good Luck
    TK