Solver unstable in XP

  1. #1
    aaarrrgghhh
    Guest

    Solver unstable in XP

    I posted this before, but it was presumably censored by Microsoft.

    Solver is now highly unstable when called fom VBA in Excel 2003: many progs
    crash or go into a loop of having to have the solver add-in added and removed
    - then will work once, before having to repeat this tedious procedure.

    Any advice appreciated, as class of grad students has wasted a geat deal of
    time on this for progs that worked fine in previous versions of Excel (since
    98)
    --
    tjp

  2. #2
    Rob van Gelder
    Guest

    Re: Solver unstable in XP

    To help you, you have to help us. I can't work on your problem with the
    details you've provided so far.

    Please ensure that no other programs are running. By that I mean no virus
    checkers, not Outlook, nothing except Windows and Excel.
    Also ensure no other Excel Add-Ins are installed - including Automation
    Add-Ins.

    Then try to make a set of instructions which will reliably reproduce the
    Solver crash.
    Also detail exact steps you go through to workaround the problem.

    Post your results here and we can try to assist.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Solver unstable in XP

    You received two answers previously -

    I didn't find any problems related to XP in the knowledge base. However, in
    your current post your subject says in "XP" (which is xl2002) and in the
    body you say "Excel 2003". Microsoft did make some adjustments to some of
    the statistical functions in excel 2003 including the random number
    generator, so if you used these, maybe you modeled to old behavior.

    Tom Ogilvy

  4. #4
    Michael R Middleton
    Guest

    Re: Solver unstable in XP

    tjp or aaarrrgghhh -

    > I posted this before, but it was presumably censored by Microsoft. <

    I don't see any evidence that anything has been censored.

    > Solver is now highly unstable when called fom VBA in Excel 2003: many
    > progs crash or go into a loop ... <

    Please provide some evidence, i.e., a reproducible example.

    - Mike

    www.mikemiddleton.com

  5. #5
    monir
    Guest

    RE: Solver unstable in XP

    Were your VBA macros calling Solver created with an ealier version of Excel?
    or developed on a different computer with a different version of Excel ?
    I may have the answer based on my recent comprehensive discussions with MS
    Excel Development Group.

  6. #6
    Michael R Middleton
    Guest

    Re: Solver unstable in XP

    monir -

    I am developing an add-in that calls Solver, so I am very interested in
    problems that I might encounter. Please share what you know. Thanks.

    - Mike

    www.mikemiddleton.com

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    monir
    Guest

    Re: Solver unstable in XP

    Mike;

    What is your Excel Version ? and do you plan to call Solver from a VBA
    macro in your developed Add-In ?
    Regards.

  8. #8
    Michael R Middleton
    Guest

    Re: Solver unstable in XP

    monir -

    I try to develop my add-ins to work with Excel 97 and later for Windows and
    Macintosh.

    I develop in Windows Excel 97 SR-2, and I then test with most other later
    versions.

    I do plan to call Solver using VBA code in my add-in.

    - Mike

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

  9. #9
    monir
    Guest

    Re: Solver unstable in XP

    Mike;

    1. If you're calling Solver from a VBA macro, and you plan to run your XL
    files on a different computer with possibly a different version of Excel, you
    would need to dynamically update the VBA Reference to Solver, since it is in
    a different path for each version of Excel (resulting in a missing reference
    error). You may accomplish that by an Auto Open Event macro, deleting the
    "missing" reference to Solver, and replacing it with the correct reference.
    This way, your XL files would run on a different computer regardless of the
    Excel version.

    2. Furthermore, the two computers may have the same version of Excel, but
    each has a different default parent folder for the package. The Auto Open
    Event macro would repair this broken link as well.

    3. I don't have experience with Excel 97. However, based on my experience
    with Excel's later versions, and strictly as apllicable to my specific
    application (non-linear optimization using Solver from VBA macros + Auto
    Open Event macro), it has only been possible to successfully run the
    application with the following configurations:
    .....a. Excel 2000 SP-3 + Solver 2002 (or later) on Windows 95
    .....b. Excel 2002 (or later) on Windows 2000 or Windows XP
    .....c. Excel 2003 on Windows XP (current configuration)

    Hope the above would help.
    Regards.