Listbox1 to Listbox2?

  1. #1
    Moretakitty
    Guest

    Listbox1 to Listbox2?

    Hi!

    I am a complete newbie to VB and I am running MS Office 2000. (My VB
    college class was in 1994 or something like that) I have been looking
    for 3 days for complete code to do this, and I am having no luck. Even
    went to the local bookstore and looked for a book... searched numberous
    websites...

    I started in Word and wondred if it would be easier in Excel?

    I was creating Forms in Word. This excalated to someone needing a form
    with a selectible list of well over 25 items. Hence I fell into the
    world of VB again.

    Does anyone know of any resources? I have been searching for 3
    days...and I do not know enough to put pieces together of different
    code.

    Any assistance at all would be appreciated!

    Moretakitty

  2. #2

    Re: Listbox1 to Listbox2?

    If it's just one item from a list of 25 (or more), you may want to put it on a
    worksheet and just use Data|validation.

    Debra Dalgleish has some nice instructions at:

  3. #3
    Moretakitty
    Guest

    Re: Listbox1 to Listbox2?

    It would be no less then 3 items.

  4. #4

    Re: Listbox1 to Listbox2?

    Excel has ListBoxes that you could add to a worksheet or to a userform.

    they support multiple selections

    Option Explicit
    Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    Dim varr()
    Dim FoundOne As Boolean
    Dim iCount As Long
    Dim i As Long

    FoundOne = False
    iCount = 0
    For i = 0 To Me.ListBox1.ListCount - 1
    If Me.ListBox1.Selected(i) Then
    FoundOne = True
    iCount = iCount + 1
    ReDim Preserve varr(1 To iCount)
    varr(iCount) = Me.ListBox1.List(i)
    End If
    Next i

    If FoundOne = True Then
    For i = LBound(varr) To UBound(varr)
    MsgBox varr(i)
    Next i

  5. #5
    gocush
    Guest

    RE: Listbox1 to Listbox2?

    this should help you get started:

    Enter you list of selectable items in, say A1:A25. Select your list.
    In the Name Box (to the left of Formula Bar), type a name of your list, say
    "MyList"
    without the quotes.

    Click on View>Toolbars>Forms to bring up a toolbar of forms.
    There will be an icon for Listboxes and one for Comboboxes. I prefer the
    latter.
    Click and drag on the combobox icon to anywhere on you worksheet. Drag a
    corner to size it. Right click on it and select Format control

    In the Input box, type: MyList
    In the Cell link box type B2 ( or whatever cell you want)
    click Enter

    Click on the Arrow on your box an select an item. The item will be place in
    the link cell: B2

    You can also add a macro to do something whenever a selection is made.

    Hope this helps

  6. #6
    Moretakitty
    Guest

    Re: Listbox1 to Listbox2?

    Hi Dave,

    I had found listboxes, but I was having difficulty linking 2 together
    and adding the data.

  7. #7
    Moretakitty
    Guest

    Re: Listbox1 to Listbox2?

    Thanks gocush,

    I really should have been more specific at the time, I ran out of time
    and the carpool was ready to go

    The first box I was able to create successfully, the problem I had was
    link 2 listboxes together so that when 1 selection is made, it would
    populate to the second listbox.

    Thanks

  8. #8
    Moretakitty
    Guest

    Re: Listbox1 to Listbox2?

    Ignore my last post, I could actually do it so that when one item is
    chosen, the same item appears in the other box by the list... I
    understand now, thank you!!

  9. #9
    Moretakitty
    Guest

    Re: Listbox1 to Listbox2?

    Well I'm not looking for a different item to appear in the second box,
    it would be the same item. Like the user is choosing 3 or 4 tiems from
    a list of 40.

  10. #10
    gocush
    Guest

    Re: Listbox1 to Listbox2?

    Ok. this is a fairly common question. IF you Google for "Excel dependent
    combo" you will find a couple different ways to do this. Here is one way:

    http://www.mrexcel.com/archive/Controls/30062.html

    I use the INDIRECT method

  11. #11
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Listbox1 to Listbox2?

    Seriously, based on that article? Seems like Dave Peterson's code is what
    you need.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  12. #12
    Moretakitty
    Guest

    Re: Listbox1 to Listbox2?

    Well guess as long as I get the end result, Dave Peterson's code may
    work, but it doesn't tell me how to link the 2 listboxes so that
    whatever is clicked in listbox 1 moves or is copied to linkbox 2.

  13. #13
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Listbox1 to Listbox2?

    Just change
    Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    Private Sub Listbox1_Click()

    This assumes your listboxes are from the control toolbox toolbar.

    But back to the question, you are saying out of a list of 40 items, you
    could transfer 3 non-contiguous items from one listbox to another using the
    approach in the link provided?

  14. #14

    Re: Listbox1 to Listbox2?

    Based on code from a guy named Tom (from a followup to recent post).

    <vbg>.

  15. #15

    Re: Listbox1 to Listbox2?

    Did you put the listboxes on a worksheet?
    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?th...2D8E%40msn.com

    or on a userform?
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...BDD4%40msn.com

  16. #16
    Moretakitty
    Guest

    Re: Listbox1 to Listbox2?

    What I am saying is that I could basically say if I choose fred in
    listbox1, I could then match it up with fred in listbox2.

  17. #17
    Moretakitty
    Guest

    Re: Listbox1 to Listbox2?

    Niether so far, I am looking for the easiest way to create a form with
    the options I need.

  18. #18

    Re: Listbox1 to Listbox2?

    Well, try creating one in a worksheet first. To me, that always seemed simpler.