ActiveX add-in?

  1. #1

    ActiveX add-in?

    Hi,

    Even though I have a c++ background, I'm hopelessly confused about the
    ..Net, com, com+, ActiveX etc.

    Basically, I have a tool that can take my existing code and package it
    as an ActiveX object. Is this sufficient to write an Excel add-in?
    Many thanks in advance!

    Aaron Fude

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: ActiveX add-in?

    Aaron,

    a few details about the tool, what it should do, what it should do it to,
    etc. would help to give a more meaningful response.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Fredrik Wahlgren
    Guest

    Re: ActiveX add-in?

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Even though I have a c++ background, I'm hopelessly confused about the
    > .Net, com, com+, ActiveX etc.
    >
    > Basically, I have a tool that can take my existing code and package it
    > as an ActiveX object. Is this sufficient to write an Excel add-in?
    > Many thanks in advance!
    >
    > Aaron Fude

    I would like to know more about the tool and what you want to do before I
    can answer anything.

    /Fredrik

  4. #4

    Re: ActiveX add-in?

    Certainly.

    My Excel add-in needs to do the following basic things:

    1. Supply custom functions, such as SphericalHarmonic(l, m, theta,
    phi), including similar type function that can take a range and return
    a range...

    2. Query some type of network server a return the results to Excel.
    Thank you

  5. #5
    Fredrik Wahlgren
    Guest

    Re: ActiveX add-in?

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Certainly.
    >
    > My Excel add-in needs to do the following basic things:
    >
    > 1. Supply custom functions, such as SphericalHarmonic(l, m, theta,
    > phi), including similar type function that can take a range and return
    > a range...
    >
    > 2. Query some type of network server a return the results to Excel.
    > Thank you

    If you want to make custom functions and want them to be compiled, you have
    two options. You can make an xll or an automation add-in. Here's a link that
    describes one, written in C#:
    http://www.thecodeproject.com/dotnet/excelnetauto.asp

    /Fredrik

  6. #6

    Re: ActiveX add-in?

    I was hoping there was a third option. I have all of the required
    funcitonality, other than delivering the results to Excel, written in
    Java and packaged as a bean. I was hoping to use this

    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/...ide/index.html

    to wrap it inside an ActiveX container and, at least temprorily, save
    myself the learning curve of learning another laguage (however similar
    to Java), another programming environment, etc.
    Thus my original question.

    Many thanks for the responses.

    Aaron Fude

  7. #7
    Fredrik Wahlgren
    Guest

    Re: ActiveX add-in?

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I was hoping there was a third option. I have all of the required
    > funcitonality, other than delivering the results to Excel, written in
    > Java and packaged as a bean. I was hoping to use this

    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/...ide/index.html

    > to wrap it inside an ActiveX container and, at least temprorily, save
    > myself the learning curve of learning another laguage (however similar
    > to Java), another programming environment, etc.
    > Thus my original question.
    >
    > Many thanks for the responses.
    >
    > Aaron Fude

    Well, maybe it does work. It ssems possible to create an add-in in C3 and
    have it call your Java dll. I suggest you try something really simple. Make
    a dll that adds two numbers and call it from C#.

    /Fredrik

  8. #8
    Jens Thiel
    Guest

    Re: ActiveX add-in?

    Hi Aaron,

    would your code compile in J#? In this case, you might be able to use
    http://ManagedXLL.net/. Contact me personally if you need additional
    information.

    Jens Thiel
    --
    Replace MSDN with my first name when replying to my email address!