find next finds too much.

  1. #1
    Guest

    find next finds too much.

    Greeting,
    I am developing something for a user.
    i have 2 cascading combo that corrosponds with data on the
    sheet. the user wants the combo to change the color on the
    data on the sheet when she selects something from the
    combo box.
    I have achieved this. however... the find next part of the
    code goes through the range what seems like 50 times be
    for it stops causing a delay of about 3-5 seconds.
    meanwhile the now colored cells just flicker as the code
    loops through the range over and over. I have tried
    several thing but nothing works. i'm stumped. How do i
    have the code go through the range only once.
    heres the code i have so far....
    it is the for next loop that is doing it.
    Private Sub ComboBox2_Change()
    Dim c As String
    Dim rng As Range
    Dim cell As Range
    c = Me.ComboBox2.Value
    Set rng = Range("A1:R33")
    rng.Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone
    If c = "" Then
    rng.Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone
    Else
    Cells.Find(What:=c, _
    After:=Range("A1"), _
    LookIn:=xlFormulas, _
    LookAt:=xlPart, _
    SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
    SearchDirection:=xlNext, _
    MatchCase:=False).Activate
    ActiveCell.Interior.ColorIndex = 42
    If ActiveCell.Interior.ColorIndex = 42 Then
    For Each cell In rng
    Cells.FindNext(After:=ActiveCell).Activate
    ActiveCell.Interior.ColorIndex = 42
    Next

  2. #2
    Chip
    Guest

    Re: find next finds too much.

    Is that for next loop simply supposed to color the range of A1:R33?

  3. #3
    Guest

    Re: find next finds too much.

    no. It is looking of what is in the combo box and if it
    finds a match, it colors the interia on that cell green.

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: find next finds too much.

    Private Sub ComboBox2_Change()
    Dim c As String
    Dim rng As Range
    Dim cell As Range
    Dim sAddr as String
    c = Me.ComboBox2.Value
    Range("A1:R33").Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone
    If c = "" Then Exit Sub
    set rng = Range("A1:R33").Find(What:=c, _
    After:=Range("A1"), _
    LookIn:=xlValues, _
    LookAt:=xlWhole, _
    SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
    SearchDirection:=xlNext, _
    MatchCase:=False)
    if not rng is nothing then
    sAddr = rng.Address
    Do
    rng.Interior.ColorIndex = 42
    set rng =Range("A1:R33").FindNext(rng)
    loop until rng.Addr = sAddr
    End if

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Guest

    Re: find next finds too much.

    thanks tom. your rewrite worked perfectly.

    (After:=ActiveCell).Activate

  6. #6
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: find next finds too much.

    There was a typo near the bottom

    Private Sub ComboBox2_Change()
    Dim c As String
    Dim rng As Range
    Dim cell As Range
    Dim sAddr as String
    c = Me.ComboBox2.Value
    Range("A1:R33").Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone
    If c = "" Then Exit Sub
    set rng = Range("A1:R33").Find(What:=c, _
    After:=Range("A1"), _
    LookIn:=xlValues, _
    LookAt:=xlWhole, _
    SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _