Searching for Archives

  1. #1
    David Myle
    Guest

    Searching for Archives

    BlankHow can I access the archives of Public Excel programming posts from Outlook Express?

    TIA

  2. #2
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Searching for Archives

    BlankHi David,

    Try downloading Ron de Bruin's GoogleSearch addin, freely available at:

    http://www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Hari Prasadh
    Guest

    Re: Searching for Archives

    BlankHi,

    Edit-> Find -> Message

    Thanks a lot,
    Hari
    India

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Searching for Archives

    BlankYou can only access those that you have downloaded and are still available, not very many.

    Better to access Google groups, http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search, put *Excel* in the Newsgroup, and any other constraints such as subject, author, words.

    RP

  5. #5
    Hari Prasadh
    Guest

    Re: Searching for Archives

    Hi Norman,

    Wanted to ask one thing.

    Is it true that NewsMessages downloaded in to OE will be deleted by OE once
    the corresponding messages are deleted from Microsoft server.(Did post to OE
    newsgroup about this but ..) Because when Iam at home I cannot afford to
    dial-up to net each time I have an Excel problem (when I work on office
    sheets from home). Since, I use OE at work as well so I planned to write my
    downloaded Excel news messages on to a CD and take them home and write it
    in to my home PC.

    I log on to net from home only when I have to actually post queries (using
    OE). But if my home computer's OE is going to delete my old newsmessages
    (old - means no longer on the server) then "Searching for Archives using OE"
    will not be of much help. Any thoughts?

    Thanks a lot,
    Hari
    India

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Searching for Archives

    Hi Hari,

    Yes, with OE, downloaded messages are deleted as they are removed from the
    MS server.

    To look at older messages, you can search the Google Groups.

    Ron's add-in provides an especially nice interface, with the added
    advantage of increased functionality.

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    news:%235%[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Searching for Archives

    Hi Hari,

    Addressing the dial-up cost issue, in OE it is possible to copy or export
    downloaded messages to another directory. You could, perhaps, do this once a
    month. A potential problem with this approach is that the ability
    automatically to group messages by thread is lost.

    I am sure that it would be feasible to set up a database application to hold
    the downloaded messages and provide the additional features you require.
    However, being spoilt by (relatively) good internet access and the Google
    Groups online database, I have never felt tempted to pursue the disk
    database approach. Of course, were internet access to become contentious,
    either in terms of cost or availabilty, I would review my approach.

    ---

  8. #8
    noyb
    Guest

    Re: Searching for Archives

    Pretty much all of the issues about keeping messages are solved by using
    Thunderbird as your news reader. With it you can easily download
    messages to your local drive and keep them as long as you want or delete
    what you don't want. FYI all messages in this group from Oct 13, 2004 to
    today use 99,034KB. Not really that much. Using Thunderbird will not
    help with messages already deleted from the server but just think of how
    many messages you can save in the future.