Controls Toolbox control vs Form Toolbox control

  1. #1
    Tony_VBACoder
    Guest

    Controls Toolbox control vs Form Toolbox control

    How come if I add a combo box from the "Controls Toolbox" rather than the
    combo box from the "Forms Toolbox", the size of my Excel worksheet becomes
    much larger. ie: I had a spreadsheet with 65 combo boxes from the "Forms
    Toolbox" and the size was around 600MB, but if I change all those combo boxes
    to the combo boxes in the "Control Toolbox", the size becomes just under 1MB.
    I am getting the same functionality by using both types of controls, just a
    little different code to reference the methods and properties, so I was
    wondering why the increase in size.

  2. #2
    Tony_VBACoder
    Guest

    RE: Controls Toolbox control vs Form Toolbox control

    Oops...the size before is 600K, not 600MB. Sorry about that typo.

  3. #3
    Patrick Molloy
    Guest

    RE: Controls Toolbox control vs Form Toolbox control

    the controls toolbox gives you the ActiveX conrtrols. These are more complex
    than those from the form and enable you to do much more. However, there are
    problems inherent too, so if you can get away with the forms controls, I'd
    stay with them.

    eg sometimes if you print preview a sheet with the activex controls, the
    controls may resize and even move when you cancel the preview & return to the
    sheet.

    Patrick Molloy
    Microsoft Excel MVP

  4. #4
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Controls Toolbox control vs Form Toolbox control

    I am correct in thinking that the forms controls are Unicode aware, whilst
    the ActiveX (and VB in general) is not ?

    NickHK

    news:[email protected]...