RE: Fill in the blanks

  1. #1
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Fill in the blanks

    Here is the easiest way that I know of in straight excel (no vba). You could
    record a macro to do this if you want. In the first blank cell beneath a
    populated cell create a formula such as =A1 assuming you are in cell a 2.
    Copy this formula. Select the range 6000 plus rows by how ever many columns.
    Hit F5 or Ctrl+G. Select Special. Select Blanks. This will select all of the
    blank cell. Now just paste. You may want to copy and paste special values the
    entire selection.

    HTH

  2. #2
    I have a similar question.

    I want to fill in all the blank cells in the first column with the text value that is in the begining cell until the next populated cell, after which the value from the next populated cell will be copied down, and so on. In other words a table like:

    A B
    George Red
    Blue
    White
    James Green
    Brown

    Would look like this, after the macro is activiated:

    A B
    George Red
    George Blue
    George White