SelfCert

  1. #1

    SelfCert

    I used SelfCert.exe to create a certificate to my VBA projects which
    allowed end users to use them.
    The tool worked initially to allow me to create a certificate. However,
    after completing additional applications of the same program, I got the
    following Excel error message: "There was a problem with the digital
    certificate. The VBA project could not be signed. The signature will be
    discarded."

    I went back to the SelfCert Tool to try to create a new certificate. I
    got the following error message; "Could not create a certificate".
    I tried to download and install new SelfCert.exe and MakeCert.exe files
    I also tried to completely reinstalling the Windows XP Program... both
    attempts have failed to solve the problem.

    Can somebody clarify for me what may have caused this and some possible
    solutions?

  2. #2
    Thomas Ramel
    Guest

    Re: SelfCert

    Grüezi Demetrius

    [email protected] schrieb am 01.02.2005

    [SelfCert problems snipped]

    > Can somebody clarify for me what may have caused this and some possible
    > solutions?

    Selfcert has some problems with its GUI - it seems connected with Novell
    netware.

    I once wrote a little excelfile (in German unforunately) that creates new
    certificates if the 'official way' fails.
    You can download it here - just push the button on the sheet and tyope your
    name:

    http://users.quick-line.ch/ramel/Fil...t_ersetzen.XLS

    Regards
    Thomas Ramel

    --
    - MVP for Microsoft-Excel -
    [Win XP Pro SP-2 / xl2000 SP-3]

  3. #3

    Re: SelfCert

    Vielen Dank Thomas,
    Glücklicherweise spreche ich noch ein wenig Deutsch.

  4. #4
    Thomas Ramel
    Guest

    Re: SelfCert

    Grüezi Demetrius

    [email protected] schrieb am 01.02.2005

    > Vielen Dank Thomas,
    > Glücklicherweise spreche ich noch ein wenig Deutsch.

    Fein, wenn so klappt - ansonsten hätte ich auch übersetzt :-)

    Regards
    Thomas Ramel

    --
    - MVP for Microsoft-Excel -
    [Win XP Pro SP-2 / xl2000 SP-3]

  5. #5
    Ben Griffiths
    Guest

    Re: SelfCert

    Thomas, thank you very much for this utility it allowed my to re-sign my VBA
    projects.

    This morning VBA reported "there was a problem with my digital signature and
    it will be discarded". It was fine yesterday...today SelfCert.exe can't
    create a new signature. I'm on a Novell network as you mentioned???

    To be able to use the new signature created with your spreadsheet in my VBA
    projects I had to delete two files from my PC first (they look like
    hexadecimal keys):

    1. The file in this directory
    C:\Documents and Settings\%UserName%\Application
    Data\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\My\Certificates

    2. This whole directory
    C:\Documents and Settings\%UserName%\Application
    Data\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\My\Keys

    I also went into the Certificates section of Internet Options and deleted
    any reference to my old digital signature name. I was then able to save my
    VBA projects with the new signature attached and mark it as a trusted source.

    Thanks again
    Ben