data validation quirk

  1. #1
    bwb
    Guest

    data validation quirk

    I have created a worksheet in which users enter data in various fields
    via dropdown lists. These dropdown lists were made using Excel's
    standard data validation procedure: Data|Validation|Settings -->
    Allow:List --> Source:=A range of cells named "Dates", on a separate
    worksheet.

    It was discovered that users could bypass this validation by pasting
    data copied from another cell. We were happy to find that by
    protecting the worksheet users could still use the dropdown lists to
    enter values, but were unable to paste other values into these cells.

    This was true for Excel 2000 on Windows 2000. But a couple of users
    have tried running this file on Windows XP with Excel 2003. They are
    unable to enter data via the dropdown lists unless the sheet protection
    is removed.

    Does anyone know why?

  2. #2

    Re: data validation quirk

    Are you sure that you locked the cell and protected the worksheet in xl2k?

    I don't think that there has been a change in behavior.

  3. #3
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: data validation quirk

    I can't tell you why, but this behaviour was changed in Excel 2002. The
    cell will have to be unlocked so users can use the data validation
    dropdown in Excel 2002 or Excel 2003.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  4. #4

    Re: data validation quirk

    Oopsie.

    I didn't remember it being different in xl97/xl2k.

  5. #5

    Re: data validation quirk

    You made me fire up my work pc xl2k (again).

    It really did change <vbg>.

    (Not that I didn't trust your response, ma'am.)

  6. #6
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: data validation quirk

    > (Not that I didn't trust your response, ma'am.)
    Yeah, that's obvious. <g>

    Anyway, this MSKB article has a bit more information on the previous
    behaviour:

    XL97: Error When Using Validation Drop-Down List Box
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=157484

  7. #7
    bwb
    Guest

    Re: data validation quirk

    Thank you all for the help. Here's a case where I wish Microsoft had
    not fixed the bug.

    I have a new design to do the validation by VB code triggered by
    WorkSheet_Change events. So far so good.

    bwb

  8. #8

    Re: data validation quirk

    Maybe a combobox from the Forms toolbar or from the Control toolbox toolbar
    would have been an alternative.