Run-Time error "70" Permission Denied

  1. #1
    Audrey
    Guest

    Run-Time error "70" Permission Denied

    I've got a macro on a spreadsheet that launches a form but the form wont
    open. It has worked for me in the past. I made some minor changes to the
    form and the code but now it wont open. When I click on debug here is where
    it points...

    Sub Button2_Click()
    UserForm2.Show this is yellow
    End Sub

    Any suggestions? I really appreciate your help!!!

  2. #2
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Run-Time error "70" Permission Denied

    There is nothing on this line that should cause a problem. Place your cursor
    on this line a press F8. This will run your code one line at a time. Keep
    pressing F8 until the error message appears. I am guessing that the actual
    error might be in a form intialize or form activate event. Give it a try and
    let us know how it went...

    HTH

  3. #3
    Audrey
    Guest

    RE: Run-Time error "70" Permission Denied

    When I press F8 it tries to save.

  4. #4
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Run-Time error "70" Permission Denied

    Lets try this from a different angle. In the code window, place your cursor
    on the userform2.show line. Hit F9. The line should now be Dark Red. This is
    a break point. (When we have figured out what is wrong we can remove the
    break point in the exact same way as we placed it in the first place.) Now go
    back to excel and press the command button. The code will stop on this break
    point. Now hit F8. Keep hitting F8 until an error message appears. Let me
    know how it goes.

    HTH

  5. #5
    Audrey
    Guest

    RE: Run-Time error "70" Permission Denied

    Our keyboards must not match. F9 is something else (I have XP). I added a
    "watch" and received the following information back...
    Expression: UserForm2
    Value: <Object variable or With block variable not set>
    Type: UserForm2
    Context: Module1.Button2_Click

  6. #6
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Run-Time error "70" Permission Denied

    Here is a silly question. Do you have a userform2. In the project window you
    will see the Excel sheets, the forms and the modules. Under forms is there a
    UserForm2?

  7. #7
    Audrey
    Guest

    RE: Run-Time error "70" Permission Denied

    I do, I really do. I've got...
    UserForm1
    UserForm2
    UserForm3
    UserForm4
    UserForm5
    UserForm6

    And UserForm2 used to load just fine but now it doesn't. They way I've got
    the form, if I get an error message like this, the spreadsheet is already
    hidden and then when I debug or cancel out of the error message the form goes
    away, too. I have to go into Task Manager to close Excel. Don't feel silly
    about the question - I feel really dumb right now!!!

  8. #8
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Run-Time error "70" Permission Denied

    Does userform2 have any on activate or initialize code. If so can you post
    it. Maybe there is something in there...

  9. #9
    Audrey
    Guest

    RE: Run-Time error "70" Permission Denied

    Hi Jim, it contains some confidential information. It's a form that
    collects data and posts it on the spreadsheet. There are a couple of buttons
    on it that bring up other forms (just informational forms). It does have two
    initialize statements...

    Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()
    (lots of code [the contents for the combo boxes are hard coded])
    End Sub

    and this one...

    Private Sub ClearForm_Click()
    Call UserForm_Initialize
    End Sub

    Does that help?

  10. #10
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Run-Time error "70" Permission Denied

    Not being able to see the code provides a distinct disadvantage. You said
    that it posts data on sheets. Do all of those sheets exist. As a gess for
    your original question they do but you should check. More likely (especially
    if this is confidential info) one or more of the sheets have been protected.
    Remove the Check to see which sheets are protected and unprotect them for
    now. Try re-running the button and see if we get anywhere...

    Here's hoping...

  11. #11
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Run-Time error "70" Permission Denied

    Also check to ensure that the sheets are visible. That could cause some
    difficulty if they are not...

    HTH

  12. #12
    Audrey
    Guest

    RE: Run-Time error "70" Permission Denied

    I checked the security and the sheets are not secured. The sheet isn't
    activated until it's ready to write the data from the form to the sheet, and
    there's a button for that. I did go ahead and activate the sheet but it
    didn't make a difference. I really appreciate all of your input. I'll not
    try to give up hope if you hang in there with me, okay?

    Is there another way to communicate with you other than a public post?

  13. #13
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Run-Time error "70" Permission Denied

    Lets just keep using this thread for a while. We will take it off line later
    if things don't impove. So you got the break point to work. In the VB screen
    one of hte menu items is debud. One of the choices is step into. Set the
    break point and then step into the code. (my step into says F8 beside it) Run
    the code and click step into. That should run your code one line at a time.
    Keep executing line by line until the error occures....

    If you really want to e-mail me you can use (jamest at tcgi dot com). You
    will need to format that obviously...

    HTH