Problem with if statement

  1. #1
    Marie
    Guest

    Problem with if statement

    I thought this should be pretty simple. I basically just want a count of how
    many meet a certain criteria in a column. But I am getting really weird
    results!

    I wrote the following code to pick up only information if there was an FO or
    FR in column 22 and if column 5 had a range of 0-150, if all this critereia
    is met I want it to go to column 17 and count how many in this column show a
    number greater than 1. The next if statement says if colum 18 has a number >1
    count how many, the same for column 19, again another if statement. The next
    two if statements say if there is an X in column 12 count how many - this
    one is not working at all. I want the next if statement to count any cells
    that are not blank. The next if doesn't work either, I am trying to get it
    to pick up anything that isn't blank in the column, there could be numerous
    letters so I thought that would be the easist way.

    Do I have to many if statements? The first three are doubling the numbers or
    worse. I am getting bigger numbers every time I run it. What am I doing
    wrong?

    Dim 150DEL30, 150Del60, 150DelNA, 150CO As Long

    For Each cell In Range("NoteList")

    If cell.Offset(0, 22) = "FO" Or cell.Offset(0, 22) = "FR" Then
    If cell.Offset(0, 5) > "00" And cell.Offset(0, 5) < "150" Then
    Select Case cell.Offset(0, 2)
    Case 600 To 606

    If cell.Offset(0, 17) >= 1 Then
    150DEL30 = 150DEL30 + 1
    End If
    If cell.Offset(0, 18) >= 1 Then
    150DEL60 = 150DEL60 + 1
    End If
    If cell.Offset(0, 19) >= 1 Then
    150DEL90 = 150DEL90 + 1
    End If
    If cell.Offset(0, 12) = "X" Then
    150NA = 150NA + 1
    End If
    If cell.Offset(0, 23) <> " " Then
    150CO = 150CO + 1
    End If
    End Select
    Next Cell

  2. #2
    Fredrik Wahlgren
    Guest

    Re: Problem with if statement

    "Marie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I thought this should be pretty simple. I basically just want a count of

    how
    > many meet a certain criteria in a column. But I am getting really weird
    > results!
    >
    > I wrote the following code to pick up only information if there was an FO

    or
    > FR in column 22 and if column 5 had a range of 0-150, if all this

    critereia
    > is met I want it to go to column 17 and count how many in this column show

    > number greater than 1. The next if statement says if colum 18 has a number
    >1
    > count how many, the same for column 19, again another if statement. The

    next
    > two if statements say if there is an X in column 12 count how many - this
    > one is not working at all. I want the next if statement to count any cells
    > that are not blank. The next if doesn't work either, I am trying to get

    it
    > to pick up anything that isn't blank in the column, there could be

    numerous
    > letters so I thought that would be the easist way.
    >
    > Do I have to many if statements? The first three are doubling the numbers

    or
    > worse. I am getting bigger numbers every time I run it. What am I doing
    > wrong?
    >

    > Dim 150DEL30, 150Del60, 150DelNA, 150CO As Long
    >
    > For Each cell In Range("NoteList")
    >
    > If cell.Offset(0, 22) = "FO" Or cell.Offset(0, 22) = "FR" Then
    > If cell.Offset(0, 5) > "00" And cell.Offset(0, 5) < "150"

    Then
    > Select Case cell.Offset(0, 2)
    > Case 600 To 606
    >
    > If cell.Offset(0, 17) >= 1 Then
    > 150DEL30 = 150DEL30 + 1
    > End If
    > If cell.Offset(0, 18) >= 1 Then
    > 150DEL60 = 150DEL60 + 1
    > End If
    > If cell.Offset(0, 19) >= 1 Then
    > 150DEL90 = 150DEL90 + 1
    > End If
    > If cell.Offset(0, 12) = "X" Then
    > 150NA = 150NA + 1
    > End If
    > If cell.Offset(0, 23) <> " " Then
    > 150CO = 150CO + 1
    > End If
    > End Select
    > Next Cell

    I see two problems which may not be relared tio ytour question. The Dim
    statement does not work as you may think. Only 150DEL30 is declared as lingm
    the rest as variant. You should do this.

    Dim 150DEL30 As Long
    Dim 150Del60 As Long
    Dim 150DelNA As Long
    Dim 150CO As Long

    Why do you write this:

    If cell.Offset(0, 5) > "00" And cell.Offset(0, 5) < "150" Then

    instead of

    If cell.Offset(0, 5) > 0 And cell.Offset(0, 5) < 150 Then

    /Fredrik

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Problem with if statement

    Small correction...

    only 150CO is declared as long.

  4. #4
    Fredrik Wahlgren
    Guest

    Re: Problem with if statement

    "JE McGimpsey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Small correction...
    >
    > only 150CO is declared as long.
    >
    > In article <#[email protected]>,
    > "Fredrik Wahlgren" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > > Dim 150DEL30, 150Del60, 150DelNA, 150CO As Long
    > > >

    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > Only 150DEL30 is declared as lingm the rest as variant.

    Right. I always forget ...

    /fredrik

  5. #5
    Marie
    Guest

    Re: Problem with if statement

    So I need to list each one as long?

    What about the rest of the code. I am still trying and it is still doubling
    the numbers. I tried changing the if statement's to elseif and that didn't
    seem to change anything. It will not pick up any of the X's in the columns.
    Do I need to use different than 'long' for them? It still isn't picking up
    anythin in the column that <> "". Somebody please hlep!

  6. #6
    Fredrik Wahlgren
    Guest

    Re: Problem with if statement

    "Marie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > So I need to list each one as long?
    >
    > What about the rest of the code. I am still trying and it is still

    doubling
    > the numbers. I tried changing the if statement's to elseif and that didn't
    > seem to change anything. It will not pick up any of the X's in the

    columns.
    > Do I need to use different than 'long' for them? It still isn't picking up
    > anythin in the column that <> "". Somebody please hlep!

    Today is Friday...

    I haven't tried your code. You should use the debugger to see what it does.
    I think that you only expect one of the IF statements to run within each
    loop. If so, you should call Next Cell at the end of each IF statement.

    /Fredrik

  7. #7
    Marie
    Guest

    Re: Problem with if statement

    Thanks, but I am in a bigger mess than I was. Now it is saying something
    about block if without end if. I have put end if behind every if statement.
    I have spent two days on this. I am about ready to go nuts.

  8. #8
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Problem with if statement

    That will give you a syntax error. There can only be one Next for every
    For.

  9. #9
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Problem with if statement

    This seems like it would be rather easy to do with worksheet functions.
    Do you have to use VBA?

    However, I may just be dense, but from your description, I can't tell
    exactly how your data is laid out, and what you're trying to do vs.
    what's actually happening...Perhaps some amplification would help.

    In article <[email protected]>,

  10. #10
    Marie
    Guest

    Re: Problem with if statement

    I have to do it in VB because of the amount of data in the file. I will try
    to explain better what I need with my code. I have a huge file with info
    about accounts payable. The first thing that I need to find is if the note
    has an FO or FR in column 22 if it does than I need to look at what type note
    it was. The first types I am checking are types 600-606. If it has the FO and
    it is a 600 then I need to look at how it was scored. My first group is <150
    - 159. So If column 22 has FO or FR and column 2 is a type 600 and column 5
    has a figure <150-159 I need to know more...next look and see if it was ever
    past due. We have 5 choices. 30 days, 60 days, 90 days, 120 days, or we
    charged it off. So if it has FO or FR and it is <150-159 look in the column
    that has 30 days if there is a number there count it as one, if there is a
    number in 60 days count it as one, 90 count it as one, 120 count it as one,
    charged off count it as one. So I want to end with a number for all accounts
    with FO and FR in product type 600-606 with a score of <150-159 that have
    ever been 30,60,90,120 days past due or charged off. The 30, 60, 90 will
    show a number in the column so I put >1 in my code. The 120 will have an X so
    I used ="X" in my code - but it didn't work - and the charged off will have a
    letter. Up to 10 possibilites so instead of listing all ten I tried <> "" and
    it didn't work. I also tried >A, because the first choice would be C but it
    didn't work either.
    I have 6 other ranges of product types I need to check with additional score
    ranges in multiples of 10 (from <150 - 300) so I thought if I could get one
    group to work I could just copy the code for all the other ranges. I thuoght
    I could change the Case to correspond to the types I needed.

    When I run this the 30 and 60 will calculate right but if I clear the sheet
    and run it again it doubles it, triples it, ect. I haven't been able to get
    the 90, 120 or charge off to pick up anything. I would like to get the
    following code to work if it is possible. Any suggestions?

    Dim 150DEL30 As Long
    Dim 150Del60 As Long
    Dim 150DelNA As Long
    Dim 150CO As Long

  11. #11
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Problem with if statement

    First, if you have a lot of data in the file, worksheet functions will
    almost certainly be faster than VBA. However...

    I don't know why you're seeing a doubling or tripling. After cleaning it
    up, your code worked for me in a test sheet, except for your comparison
    to " ", which is a space character, rather than a comparison to a null
    string, "". I don't know how you have variables starting with the number
    1 - those are illegal names. BTW - I assume from the varying
    capitalization and differing variable names that you're not pasting the
    code from your project into your message, so I can't tell if you have
    typos.

    You should definitely put

    Option Explicit

    at the top of your module - that will force you to declare your
    variables exactly, so if you

    Dim n150DelNa As Long

    but use

    n150NA = n150NA + 1

    you'll get a "Variable not defined" error.

    Here's what I used, which is functionally equivalent to what I *think*
    you're trying to do:

    Dim rCell As Range
    Dim n150DEL30 As Long
    Dim n150DEL60 As Long
    Dim n150DEL90 As Long
    Dim n150DELNA As Long
    Dim n150CO As Long

    For Each rCell In Range("NoteList")
    With rCell
    If .Offset(0, 22).Text Like "F[OR]" Then
    If .Offset(0, 5).Value > 0 And .Offset(0, 5) < 150 Then
    Select Case .Offset(0, 2)
    Case 600 To 606
    n150DEL30 = n150DEL30 - (.Offset(0, 17).Value >= 1)
    n150DEL60 = n150DEL60 - (.Offset(0, 18).Value >= 1)
    n150DEL90 = n150DEL90 - (.Offset(0, 19).Value >= 1)
    n150DELNA = n150DELNA - (.Offset(0, 12).Value = "X")
    n150CO = n150CO - (.Offset(0, 23).Text <> "")
    End Select
    End With
    Next rCell
    Debug.Print n150DEL30, n150DEL60, n150DEL90, n150DELNA, n150CO

    Note the use of - rather than +. VBA's "True" value is coerced to -1 in
    a math operation, rather than +1 as it is in XL.

    In article <[email protected]>,

  12. #12
    Marie
    Guest

    Re: Problem with if statement

    Thank you so very, very much. I changed it this afternoon and it worked.
    I was just wondering about something, the girl who showed me what little I
    do know about VBA always used the cell.offset (x,x) instead of the way you
    had .offset. What is the difference and why use one over the other? Does it
    pertain to the rcell at the beginning? She also was the one who told me to
    do the +1 to count.
    Thanks for your help!
    Marie

  13. #13
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Problem with if statement

    Using the

    .Offset(....)

    uses the

    With...End With

    syntax. The "." indicates that what follows refers to the object
    specified in "With x", so

    With rCell
    If .Offset(0, 22).Text Like "F[OR]" Then
    If .Offset(0, 5).Value > 0...

    is equivalent to

    If rCell.Offset(0, 22).Text Like "F[OR]" Then
    If rCell.Offset(0, 5).Value > 0...

    In article <[email protected]>,

  14. #14
    Marie
    Guest

    Re: Problem with if statement

    Thanks again, you have helped me so much!

    Marie