ODBC imports numbers as text

  1. #1
    LarryPH
    Guest

    ODBC imports numbers as text

    When I use ODBC to import data into Excel, all numbers come through with a
    leading apostrophe so that Excel sees them as text.
    e..g INSERT INTO [Sheet1$] VALUES (10) will come into Excel as '10

  2. #2
    LarryPH
    Guest

    RE: ODBC imports numbers as text

    Ooops .. Sorry I forgot to state my question... how do I stop numbers
    appearing as text?
    Thanks!

  3. #3
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: ODBC imports numbers as text

    ODBC likes to use strings (text) for its output because text is safe. Any
    number chan be shown as text but text can not necessarily be converted to a
    number. That having been said so long as you know there are a couple of
    things you can do. You cna use a macro to convert the strings or in a column
    next to the text use the formula =value(A1)...

    HTH

  4. #4
    Jamie Collins

    LarryPH wrote:
    > how do I stop numbers
    > appearing as text?

    Although written from the opposite perspective, there may be something
    of use here:

    http://www.*****-blog.com/archives/2...ed-data-types/

    Jamie.