Absolute vs. Relative Cell References

  1. #1
    ChrisR
    Guest

    Absolute vs. Relative Cell References

    I have a relatively simple Excel sheet where a user will paste in 20 fields
    of information from another application. Then to the right are 10 formula
    fields that need to be copied down. Record count will change each time the
    template is used. Is there a way to have a macro determine how far to copy
    down and then do the copy down?

    I wanted to do an xlDown to bottom of pasted area, then tell it to go over
    one field, mark with an "x" to spot the bottom, then do a copydown to the
    "x". Problem I am having is telling Excel to go over absolute 1 field
    regardless of row location. Macro keeps recording actual cell address not
    relative movement.

    Can anyone help?

    c-

  2. #2
    Mike Fogleman
    Guest

    Re: Absolute vs. Relative Cell References

    Kind of unclear on the 10 formula fields. Are they all in row 1 starting
    from B1 to K1? Is the pasted information in column A from A1 to A20 (
    whatever the record count)? If the above is true then this will copy down
    the formulas in B1:K1 to the last entry in column A:

    Range("B1:K1", Range("A1").End(xlDown)).Offset(0, 1).FillDown

    Mike F

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    ChrisR
    Guest

    Re: Absolute vs. Relative Cell References

    Mike,

    Thanks for the response. Did exactly what I wanted right out of the gate.
    Never ceases to amaze me how many really bright people there are reading
    these postings. I can only hope that I give back something close to what I
    get from gents like yourself. Thanks again for the help!

    c-

    news:[email protected]...