Docking Project Explorer Vertically

  1. #1
    Rob Bovey
    Guest

    Re: Docking Project Explorer Vertically

    "ChelseaWarren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >I used to have my Project Explorer docked at the left side. Somehow it now
    > refuses to dock anywhere other than horizontally. I would like the
    > Project
    > Explorer at the left and the modules at the right.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong? It's driving me crazy!

    Hi Chelsea,

    Hold down the Ctrl key then click and drag the Project Explorer window
    by the title bar back to the left side. It may take a couple of tries to get
    it docked there again. If you don't hit it exactly right it will either
    undock or snap back to the top again.

    --
    Rob Bovey, Excel MVP
    Application Professionals

    * Take your Excel development skills to the next level.
    * Professional Excel Development
    http://www.appspro.com/Books/Books.htm

  3. #3
    Mike Fogleman
    Guest

    Re: Docking Project Explorer Vertically

    Grab the Project Title Bar and drag it clear off the VBE window and then
    drag it back to the window where you want it, watching the ghost outline to
    change to vertical.

  4. #4
    ChelseaWarren
    Guest

    Re: Docking Project Explorer Vertically

    Thanks for the reply. I tried this at least 20 times and it will still only
    dock at the top. I also tried moving it clear off the VBE window and back.
    Still won't work.

  5. #5
    ChelseaWarren
    Guest

    Re: Docking Project Explorer Vertically

    Thanks for replying. The ghost outline turns vertical but the Project
    Explorer just sits to the left without docking. I tried this with and
    without the CTRL key.

  6. #6
    Peter T
    Guest

    Re: Docking Project Explorer Vertically

    Hi Chelsea,

    If you're comfortable with editing your registry, try renaming or deleting
    "Dock"

    HKCU-Software-Microsoft-VBA-Common-Dock

    Or for xl97, under VBA-Office

    A new key should be created next time you start Excel and your VBE.

    Only came across last week this because I'm also having a problem with my
    VBE. Not your problem but the my main "Menu Bar" items not responding
    whenever I have an addin loaded that interacts with VBE commandbars. Didn't
    fix my problem though!

    Regards,
    Peter T

  7. #7
    Rob Bovey
    Guest

    Re: Docking Project Explorer Vertically

    Hi Chelsea,

    If you can't fix the problem any other way, here's the sledgehammer
    approach. Close Excel and open RegEdit (choose Start > Run, type RegEdit
    into the Run dialog and click OK). Navigate to the following registry key:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VBA\6.0\Common

    On the right side look for a registry entry called "Dock" of Type
    REG_BINARY. Double-click it to bring up the edit dialog, delete everything
    in the Value Data box and click OK. The data for the key should now say
    "(zero-length binary value)"

    Start Excel again and open the VBE. All of the windows sizes and docking
    positions should be reset to their defaults.

  8. #8
    Peter T
    Guest

    Re: Docking Project Explorer Vertically

    > HKCU-Software-Microsoft-VBA-Common-Dock

    typo, should be

    HKCU-Software-Microsoft-VBA-6.0-Common-Dock

    Peter T

  9. #9
    ChelseaWarren
    Guest

    Re: Docking Project Explorer Vertically

    Thank you!! Thank you!!

  10. #10
    ChelseaWarren
    Guest

    Re: Docking Project Explorer Vertically

    Thank you!! That was it.

  11. #11
    vancouver
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Re: Docking Project Explorer Vertically

    OMG!!!! How can the VBA editor be so stupid! Your registry tip helped immensely I've never experienced such frustration in trying to do something as simple as putting the windows back to their default positions.

  12. #12
    London
    MS-Off Ver
    Hi All, understand this is an old thread but to save the sanity of those coming across this problem and those less experienced with RegEdit I came across this chap that deserves a medal for its simplicity.

    Basically in VBE tools > options > docking

    Uncheck all/some, recheck all/ some save exit.

    C.

    http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/VBEDocking.asp

    Quote Originally Posted by ChelseaWarren View Post

  13. #13
    India
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: Docking Project Explorer Vertically

    Quote Originally Posted by ChelseaWarren View Post
    I used to have my Project Explorer docked at the left side. Somehow it now
    refuses to dock anywhere other than horizontally. I would like the Project
    Explorer at the left and the modules at the right.

    What am I doing wrong? It's driving me crazy!
    new.png

    right click there(on the heading of vba project) select dockable.
    Done!

  14. #14
    Seattle
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: Docking Project Explorer Vertically

    I signed up for an account just to say THANK YOU

  15. #15
    India
    MS-Off Ver
    Quote Originally Posted by miaosy89 View Post
    I signed up for an account just to say THANK YOU
    Happy to help

  16. #16
    Forum Expert Doc.AElstein's Avatar
    '_- Germany >Outside Building things.... Mostly
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 2003 2007 2010 PC but Not mac. XP and Vista mostly, sometimes Win 7
    Posts
    3,618

    Re: Docking Project Explorer Vertically

    Hi
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bovey View Post
[...]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter T View Post
    HKCU-Software-Microsoft-VBA-Common-Dock
    typo,
    HKCU-Software-Microsoft-VBA-6.0-Common-Dock
    Peter T
    I can't seem to Rep or PM these guys to thank them, so just doing it in a reply, on the off-chance they are still subscribed: - This had frustrated me for Hours. The Reg Edit Tip did it. - And the first time in my life I was brave enough to mess with my Registry ...... and it worked.
    My VBA Project Explorer window and The Properties Window is finally back where it was !!!
    Thanks Rob Bovey ( and Peter and the others contributing )

    Alan
    Last edited by Doc.AElstein; 11-27-2016 at 05:50 PM.
    '_- Google first, like this _ site:ExcelForum.com Gamut
    Use Code Tags: Highlight code; click on the # icon above,
    Post screenshots COPYABLE to a Spredsheet; NOT IMAGES PLEASE
    http://www.excelforum.com/the-water-...ml#post4109080
    https://app.box.com/s/gjpa8mk8ko4vkwcke3ig2w8z2wkfvrtv
    http://excelmatters.com/excel-forums/ ( Scrolll down to bottom )

  17. #17
    Niantic,CT
    MS-Off Ver
    2007,2013

    Re: Docking Project Explorer Vertically

    Out of the blue I was having the same issue and was stuck with the Project Explorer and Properties windows docked and taking up the entire window and could not dock the code window. It was driving me mad. I found this solution and it fixed the issue. Thank You very much.

  18. #18
    Forum Expert Doc.AElstein's Avatar
    '_- Germany >Outside Building things.... Mostly
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 2003 2007 2010 PC but Not mac. XP and Vista mostly, sometimes Win 7
    Posts
    3,618

    Re: Docking Project Explorer Vertically

    Quote Originally Posted by jabera10 View Post
    ..... I found this solution and it fixed the issue. Thank You very much.
    Yep Rob Bovey’s sledgehammer is the Doggy’s Nut‘s. Once again saved a lot of frustration. Just now my Immediate Window got “swallowed” and “eaten” as I moved over it whilst moving the position of my VB Editor Window. All I could do was open or close it after that. The problem was that on opening it, it took up all the entire space in the VB Editor but refused to let me reduce its size or move it in any of the ways that it usually is possible to do. ( So maybe the Immediate Window had sort of swallowed the VB Editor ?? ). In any case something had its knickers in a twist, and all the other ways to get the problem sorted had no effect !!

    Following the instructions from Rob Bovey sorted it Out
    Absolutely spiffing, Jolly Billy Ho! IMO

    Alan

    P.s. The thread is a bit Old so the exact steps may be a bit different..
    Here is one ( almost) current example...
    ( Using Windows Vista )

    _ 1) Close Excel ***
    _ 2) Hit the Microsoft symbol bottom left
    _ 3) Type in RegEdit in the small search Window
    _ 4) Double click on the RegEdit which should now be offered in the larger window just above the Search Window
    ( _ 5)( At this point I got an “Administrator Rights” type window pop Up – So you might not get past here depending on your “rights” – I got past by just clicking OK in this pop Up ) )
    _ 6) A big registry Window pops up – I navigate through HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VBA\6.0\Common
    _ 7) Now on the right side of the Registry, I see a Dock . I double click on Dock
    _ 8) I have now an Edit Window. It has a large “Value:” Box full with Numbers and letters in it.
    _ 9) I Highlight all those Numbers and delete them, ( All but 0000 should then vanish ) , then Hit OK
    _ 10) – “Jolly Ruddy Spiffing Billy Merry Ho Wonks Bingo !!” . – On opening Excel I find if I hit Ctrl+G from the VB Editor ( Alt+11 ), my immediate Window appears at the bottom of the VB Editor, but I can drag it in and out of the VB Editor anywhere where I Jolly well like!

    (*** Do not forget that Excel must be closed or it will not work )

    RegEditDockingWonks.JPG http://imgur.com/V0qttoA
    RegEditDockingWonks.JPG

    P.P.s. May be this Thread could do with being in the Tips and Tutorials Sub Forum?
    Last edited by Doc.AElstein; 12-20-2016 at 11:23 AM.

  19. #19
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

    Re: Docking Project Explorer Vertically

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.AElstein View Post

    P.P.s. May be this Thread could do with being in the Tips and Tutorials Sub Forum?
    This thread could do with being nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. Thank you so much guys who came up with this solution, this bug was driving me bananas (what did people used to do in the 80s and 90s when things like this happened?)

  20. #20
    Forum Expert Doc.AElstein's Avatar
    '_- Germany >Outside Building things.... Mostly
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 2003 2007 2010 PC but Not mac. XP and Vista mostly, sometimes Win 7
    Posts
    3,618

    Re: Docking Project Explorer Vertically

    Quote Originally Posted by bevc View Post
    ...what did people used to do in the 80s and 90s when things like this happened?)
    I worked for a fairly large Electronics company back then… when things went wrong with anything to do with a computer or software we went to the Computer Department, aka, Dave James, and he fixed it, usually on the spot.
    Things were less complicated back then
    Things seem to go wrong when Design / Development Teams expanded past more than a few people, Lol….

  21. #21
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

    Re: Docking Project Explorer Vertically

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.AElstein View Post
    I worked for a fairly large Electronics company back then… when things went wrong with anything to do with a computer or software we went to the Computer Department, aka, Dave James, and he fixed it, usually on the spot.
    Things were less complicated back then
    Things seem to go wrong when Design / Development Teams expanded past more than a few people, Lol….
    Funnily enough my dad says something similar, he used to fix mainframes back in the 80s, and I asked him this, and he said a good analogy would be with cars - these days, nobody knows how to fix a modern car. But back in the 40s or 50s, if you owned a car, chances were very good that you had a rudimentary idea how to fix it, and how it worked, because, well, for one, if you opened the hood there was a good chance you could see what was happening.

  22. #22
    South Bend, IN
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 2013

    Re: Docking Project Explorer Vertically

    Ran into this same issue today. Accidentally undocked it and it would not dock left again. The path has changed, I just went to Microsoft VBA and then searched for Dock.

    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VBA\7.1\Common

  23. #23
    New York, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Re: Docking Project Explorer Vertically

    Thanks.
    Worked for both Access and Excel
    You must be careful to remove the correct "Dock" - I have both VBA 6 and 7.

  24. #24
    Florida
    MS-Off Ver
    excel

    Re: Docking Project Explorer Vertically

    This is the Best response I have ever seen. Why? Because it works. I do a lot of research searching for either solutions or ideas on getting the best from Excel. I found myself in the same scenario one day, I was adding a Userform , the mouse got hung up on my table cloth. (yes I was working on the dinning room table with my laptop) next thing I know the Userform was on the bottom of the screen the properties had expanded all the way across the screen, it went all down hill from there. I spent the next hour trying this and that until I closed the laptop and walked away.
    The Next day I attempted to reason with excel and it wasn't having it. Strike Two! I finally found this forum. Its all in how you choose your words in a search. Anyway, Thank you to all that contributed to this forum. The Workbook I was working on has 10 UserForms, 11 Sheets and 3 Modules. Countless hours involved.
    Thanks again..