RS232 to Excel woorksheet

  1. #1
    Franz
    Guest

    RS232 to Excel woorksheet

    Is there anyone that could help me to read the com port into an excel
    worksheet via a macro?

    FB

  2. #2
    GysdeJongh
    Guest

    Re: RS232 to Excel woorksheet

    Hi,
    this was here before , see below
    hth
    Gys

    check out

    http://www.handyarchive.com/free/rs232/

    i think i'd go for CPSplus...
    shareware, free trial , EUR 30 to register.

    it contains 3 templates for excel data.
    with example code to program via DDE

    keepITcool

    < email : keepitcool chello nl (with @ and .) >
    < homepage: http://members.chello.nl/keepitcool >

    Here is some information previously posted by others in response to similar
    questions.

    The best way to do it is to use the MSComm control that comes with Visual
    Basic. If you want to see how this works, load and single step through the
    VBTerm sample that comes with it (should be in the \samples subdirectory; if
    not, I think you can download it from Microsoft's Visual Basic site).

    One important note, though, is that you must know the syntax of the commands
    to your meter (or other device), as sent via RS-232. Once you know those
    you can simply modify the VBTerm code to suit your own purposes. It's
    complex at first, but stick with it!

    "Poor Man's Serial Instant Messenger"
    http://www.htservices.com/Tools/Visu...unications.htm
    Visual Basic Serial Communications Example Tutorials Source Code Programs

    http://www.cpcug.org/user/clemenzi/t...s/SerialIO.htm
    Serial I/O (RS232)

    http://www.allapi.net/vbexamples/lis...ategory=SOURCE

    Regards,
    Tom Ogilvy

    "John Gittins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > How do I write and receive data from RS232? Does XP cause any problems in
    > this?
    >
    > --
    > John Gittins
    > Production Engineer
    > SRC Automotive
    > 4431 West Calhoun
    > Springfield
    > MO 65810
    > Phone 417 829 2411
    > Fax 417 829 2427

    Geoff

    I suggest you search the net for visual Basic code on
    using the COM port. You should be able to copy this code
    into a VBA module and run it from there.

    It will certainly use windows API functions but in nearly
    all cases they will work OK in VBA

    Dermot Balson
    Free VBA code for encryption, compression, internet
    connectivity
    http://www.webace.com.au/~balson/Ins...l/Default.html
    Last updated 6 June 2002

    connect via the serial
    >port on a laptop.
    >
    >I can see no mention in manuals/help about use of COM1:.

    Can anyone advise
    >if this is possible.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Geoff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: RS232 to Excel woorksheet

    a lot of confusion......

    does MSComm come with the VBA in Excel or do I need to install VB?

    FRANZ

  4. #4
    GysdeJongh
    Guest

    Re: RS232 to Excel woorksheet

    Hi,
    if you want the serial control you need MSCOMM32.OCX which is in VB .It is not
    simple to get serial communication in Excel if you want to program it yourself
    ..Reflected in the price if you buy a commercial product , if you ask me. Here is
    a firm :

    http://www.taltech.com/

    Examples see :

    http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/serialport.htm

    Or search Google for Group :microsoft.public.excel.programming and keyword
    Serial
    Gys

  5. #5
    Thomas Lutz
    Guest

    Re: RS232 to Excel woorksheet

    reading serial data into an Excel spreadsheet is an extremely
    difficult thing to do using VBA code in a macro. It requires some very
    complex calls to the Windows API and although I am certain that it is
    possible, the amount of effort required to do so would be extensive
    and probably not worth it.
    A better way to go would be to use an off the shelf tool that is
    designed for this type of job.
    The best one that I know of is called WinWedge from TAL Technologies.'
    You can learn more about WinWedge at the following URL:
    http://www.taltech.com/products/winwedge.html

    WinWedge basically makes it extremely easy to both send and receive
    RS232 data directly from within an Excel spreadsheet.