Referencing same cell in calculation

  1. #1
    Tugger
    Guest

    Referencing same cell in calculation

    Hey guys, if I want to reference the same source cell when copying a formula
    (11% is the fuel sur-charge I want to reference in my calculation), how do I
    do that without manually typing the source cell in each new cell?

    I tried dragging the formula, but if the first cell is =d20*a10, when I drag
    it the next cell is =e20*b10. I want =e20*a10, =f20*a10, etc.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Referencing same cell in calculation

    Take a look at the "difference between relative and absolute references"
    topic in XL Help.

    For example:

    =D20 * $A$10

  3. #3
    Tugger
    Guest

    Re: Referencing same cell in calculation

    Thank you!

  4. #4
    Chris Rogers
    Guest

    Re: Referencing same cell in calculation

    you may want to name your cells. you could name the one row as Amount
    and name the cell that has the 11% sur-charge as Tax
    (Insert/Name/Define). That way the reference won't change when you
    copy it, and if you look at the formula it will make some sense instead
    of f3*$A$1, you would see Amount * Tax

  5. #5
    Tugger
    Guest

    Re: Referencing same cell in calculation

    Right on Chris! Man this is great stuff!