Using Excel to check CoOrdinates

  1. #1

    Using Excel to check CoOrdinates

    I have sets of coordinates which contain
    3 points in each set.

    Can anyone suggest how I can test if
    all 3 points are collinear (to within say 3 or 4 decimal places)

    Or can anyone show me how to simply display
    the formula for the line using each pair of points in turn
    and displaying all 3 formulas. In the form y=mx+b

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    Thanks

    CharlesW

  2. #2
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Using Excel to check CoOrdinates

    There are two function in excel that you need. Slope and intercept. I will
    assume they need no expanation. Assume your co-ordinates look like this
    (starting in Cell A1):

    Point X Point Y
    1 3
    2.5 4
    3 5

    =B4-(A4*SLOPE(B2:B3, A2:A3)+INTERCEPT(B2:B3, A2:A3))

    This shows that the two sets are not co-linear by .667. Remove the B4 and
    you will see where the intercept should be...

    HTH