Missing Reference?

  1. #1
    The parawon
    Guest

    Missing Reference?

    I'm looking for a better way to get rid of the spaces directly before and
    after the values in my cells. When I double click the values, I see the
    cursor blinking one space to the right of the data, like this: 'Sales . The
    period is where the cursor sits blinking. Without double clicking the cell,
    it says: Sales No cursor appears on the unactivated cell (obviously). I
    know about the "TRIM" function in order to get rid of before and after
    spaces, but I don't want to have to move the data around in order to do a
    vlookup. I tried using Find & Replace, but that only helps me find values
    that are not formula. I believe I might have a missing reference. Does
    anyone know which reference would make Find and Replace work for formulas?
    Is there a way to replace the spaces on the outside?

    Any push in the right direction would be very appreciated

  2. #2
    Fredrik Wahlgren
    Guest

    Re: Missing Reference?

    "The parawon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for a better way to get rid of the spaces directly before and
    > after the values in my cells. When I double click the values, I see the
    > cursor blinking one space to the right of the data, like this: 'Sales .

    The
    > period is where the cursor sits blinking. Without double clicking the

    cell,
    > it says: Sales No cursor appears on the unactivated cell (obviously).

    > know about the "TRIM" function in order to get rid of before and after
    > spaces, but I don't want to have to move the data around in order to do a
    > vlookup. I tried using Find & Replace, but that only helps me find values
    > that are not formula. I believe I might have a missing reference. Does
    > anyone know which reference would make Find and Replace work for formulas?
    > Is there a way to replace the spaces on the outside?
    >
    > Any push in the right direction would be very appreciated

    How did you get something like "Sales " into the cell in the first place?
    Did you import it from a database?

    /Fredrik

  3. #3
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Missing Reference?

    You could use the array formula
    =INDEX($B$2:$B$3,MATCH(C2,TRIM($A$2:$A$3),0))

    where column A contains the names (with leading/trailing spaces) and B
    contains the result value you want returned.

    --
    An array formula is entered with CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER rather than just
    ENTER. If done correctly, XL will display curly brackets { and }

    Regards,

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  4. #4
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Missing Reference?

    I see I just wasted my time helping you since you have already received
    multiple answers to all the multiposts you made on the topic.

    What a wonderful way to waste world-class volunteer resources -- and at
    no cost to you!