Cant seem to make an embedded object really transparent.

  1. #1
    John Keith
    Guest

    Cant seem to make an embedded object really transparent.

    I have 3 seperate workbooks that I have generated. 1 is a hexagonal map with
    letter-number designations for each cell. I created a lot of hex auto shapes
    then exactly lined them up and grouped them as 1 object on the first
    workbook. The 2nd is small font text which represents a label for the
    contents of a cell. The 3rd is a very large font arrow pointing to 1 of the
    6 sides. The different size font was the reason I had to use this embed
    object method (or the only feature in excel I could find that seemed to do
    what I needed)

    I am using Insert>Object "Create from file" with "Link to file" checked and
    pulling each of these 3 workbooks into a new workbook. Then I use the
    right-click to "format object" then in the "colors and lines" tab I set the
    transparency to 100% on all 3 objects (scrolling through them with "send to
    back")... 2 of them seem to merge... but 1 of them, even though set to 100%
    transparent, will remain opaque. I have seen this work with 3 objects
    before (I can make 3 simple new files to test this and it does work), but now
    I cant figure out why, in my "real" files, 1 remains opaque. It is the one
    with the arrows that seems to stay opaque. I am using these "↑↗↘↓↙↖" Arial
    Unicode MS in font size 36 or so in 100x100 pixel cells.

    Anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix this problem?
    It seems to happen both on Excel2003 and 2000.
    John

  2. #2
    John Keith
    Guest

    RE: Cant seem to make an embedded object really transparent.

    Additional info...
    The 3 workbooks that get inserted, all have grid lines turned off, and each
    cell is 100x100 pixels where Cols A and B & Rows 1 and 2 are blank (no data
    or formulas) Cell C3 is really the top left of the hex-grid.

    I left the grid lines visible in the new workbook, When I insert each
    object, I format to 100% transparent, then the grid lines appear on the
    borders (so I think the object IS becoming transparent, however the locations
    of the real data is what seems to remain opaque, and that is only for the 2
    sheets that use formulas to put text (either large or small font) in a cell.
    The hexmap file will go fully transparent and when I have just 1 of the other
    2 overlayed objects... I can see the combination of the hex grid with some
    text (arrows or small font text) but not both.
    For just one of them to work however the hex-overlay must be the front
    object (so this still fits with the problem that the "text" object overlays
    just wont seem to go full transparent)