how do i create a macro to clear checkboxes and display a message.

  1. #1
    Xavierskyrider
    Guest

    how do i create a macro to clear checkboxes and display a message.

    Im doing an excel sheet for work and need to program a macro so that say when
    two checkboxes are checked at the same time it unchecks them and creates a
    message box signifying an error. Maybe even have it play a sound too

  2. #2
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: how do i create a macro to clear checkboxes and display a message.

    Why not just use Option Buttons instead of Check Boxes. They only allow one
    to be checked at a time?

    HTH

  3. #3
    Xavierskyrider
    Guest

    RE: how do i create a macro to clear checkboxes and display a mess

    Well the problem is I want the checkboxes to either have one checked or none
    because im doing a business model for capital equipment so that it can only
    have one add-on and not the other or none of them. Having three option
    buttons would look odd on the sheet.

  4. #4
    ben
    Guest

    RE: how do i create a macro to clear checkboxes and display a mess

    I have about Ten "sets" of checkboxes that have the same problem
    In order for this to work i simply used the click event of the checkboxes
    (if they are form controls) to check the other check box eg you have two
    check boxes, one is named WHITE the other is named BLACk

    this is in the sheet module

    private sub WHITE_click ()
    if WHITE.value = true and BLACK.value = TRUE then
    WHITE.value = false
    BLACK.value = false
    Beep
    msgbox "You can not do that.
    end if
    end sub

  5. #5
    Xavierskyrider
    Guest

    RE: how do i create a macro to clear checkboxes and display a mess

    What if I want to have a custom sound instead of the beep?

  6. #6
    ben
    Guest

    RE: how do i create a macro to clear checkboxes and display a mess

    you can play wave files, i'm not sure of the exact syntax but saerch vba help
    for "wave" or playsound
    ben

  7. #7
    Xavierskyrider
    Guest

    RE: how do i create a macro to clear checkboxes and display a mess

    I named the check boxes as you said and im getting an end sub error when I
    try clicking one of the boxes. Was i not supposed to assign the macro to one
    of the check boxes? Where do i assign the macro to?

  8. #8
    Xavierskyrider
    Guest

    RE: how do i create a macro to clear checkboxes and display a message.

    Ben I'm getting an end sub error so when I tried taking out the private part
    it highlights the If WHITE.Value = True And BLACK.Value = True Then and gives
    me an error for some reason its not working