excel macro with strings

  1. #1
    Tomek
    Guest

    excel macro with strings

    Hello?

    I have two columns of sentnces.
    Column A has about 5000 sentences
    Column C has about 30 short sentences or words.

    I would like the macro to find sentences or words that are present in
    column C , in column A.
    If the word or sentence from the column C is found in the Column A, it
    should be copied from C to Column B.

    example:

    columnA ColumnC

    many new books new boo

    so to columnB should be copied string (new boo) because it is also
    present in column A.

    Thank you very much in advance for help.

    Tomek

    --
    Tomek

  2. #2
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: excel macro with strings

    This code assumes that your data in column C is continuious with no empty
    rows (it stops at the first empty row). It processes the active sheet but
    that can be changed easily, and assumes that the data starts in the second
    row...

    Public Sub FindDuplicates()
    Dim shtCurrent As Worksheet
    Dim rngToSearch As Range
    Dim rngFound As Range
    Dim strFirstAddress As String
    Dim rngToFind As Range

    Set shtCurrent = ActiveSheet
    Set rngToFind = shtCurrent.Range("C2")
    Set rngToSearch = shtCurrent.Range("A1").EntireColumn
    Do While rngToFind <> Empty
    Set rngFound = rngToSearch.Find(rngToFind.Value, , , xlPart)
    If Not rngFound Is Nothing Then
    strFirstAddress = rngFound.Address
    Do
    rngFound.Offset(0, 1).Value = rngToFind
    Set rngFound = rngToSearch.FindNext(rngFound)
    Loop Until rngFound.Address = strFirstAddress
    End If
    Set rngToFind = rngToFind.Offset(1, 0)
    Loop

  3. #3
    Tomek
    Guest

    Re: RE: excel macro with strings

    Thank you very much, that's what I needed and I couldn't do it myself.

    Tomek

    --
    Tomek