.onaction macro call won't work

  1. #1
    Guest

    .onaction macro call won't work

    Sorry for the crosspost, put it in the wrong forum.

    I created a custom toolbar first without code and
    attached macros to the buttons, and they worked fine.
    however, I had problems sharing the workbook with others;
    I followed some code posted here to create a toolbar in
    code, I used the .onaction property to assign the buttons
    to the same macros but they don't work - it says macro
    doesn't exist!!

    I noticed this difference - when it fails it says the
    macro "filename.xls!macroname" not found. But when I use
    the toolbar customize fature to assign the macro it's in
    the form "Thisworkbook!macroname". Looking for help!!

    Wayne

  2. #2
    Rob van Gelder
    Guest

    Re: .onaction macro call won't work

    I have commandbar examples on my website.

    Often your symptoms will occur when there is some sort of compile error.
    If the module doesn't compile, OnAction cannot find the macro to run.

    Perhaps there is a missing reference?

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: .onaction macro call won't work

    Are you sure that you put your macros in a standard code module, not one of
    the calls modules such as ThisWorkbook, or the sheet modules?

    RP

  4. #4
    Wayne
    Guest

    Re: .onaction macro call won't work

    I did put it in th4 ThisWorkbook module. I don't have a
    clear understanding yet of what goes where! Obviously...

    So that was a mistake? :-)

    Wayne

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: .onaction macro call won't work

    Yes it was. Put it in a standard code module and re-assign the macros to the
    buttons.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Wayne
    Guest

    Re: .onaction macro call won't work

    Thanks will do.

    But another related question. Where should you store
    global varaible declarations and assignments? I put them
    in the workbook On_open event handler. Is that correct?

    Wayne

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: .onaction macro call won't work

    What do you mean by global variable declarations and assignments?

  8. #8
    Wayne
    Guest

    Re: .onaction macro call won't work

    Option explicit
    dim file1, file2 as string
    file1 = "pathtofile1)
    file2 = "pathtofile2"

    etc. Variables I want to use in a number of macros and
    don't change

    Wayne

    message

  9. #9
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: .onaction macro call won't work

    It is fine to put them in the Workbook_Open event, but declare them in a
    standard code module, else they will be local to ThisWorkbook.