Backing Up

  1. #1
    Greg B
    Guest

    Backing Up

    Hi I received this code from Bob Phillips and it does what I want except it
    copies everything I want to the "I drive" it makes a folder with today's
    date. What I need it to do is actually copy all the items into the
    directory with today's date.

    '---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sub CopyFolder()
    '---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dim oFSO As Object
    Dim sFolder As String

    sFolder = "I:\backup\"
    If Not oFSO.FolderExists(sFolder) Then
    MkDir sFolder & Format(Date, "yyyy-mm-dd")
    End If
    If Not oFSO.FolderExists(sFolder & Format(Date, "yyyy-mm-dd")) Then
    MkDir sFolder & Format(Date, "yyyy-mm-dd")
    End If
    oFSO.CopyFolder "C:\idsc\*", sFolder & "\"
    Set oFSO = Nothing
    End Sub

    Thanks again

    Greg

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Backing Up

    Greg,

    Here is a variation. It does go into sub-directories though.

    '---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sub CopyFolder()
    '---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dim oFSO As Object
    Dim sFolder As String
    Dim oFolder As Object
    Dim oFile As Object

    sFolder = "I:\Backup\"
    If Not oFSO.FolderExists(sFolder) Then
    MkDir sFolder
    End If
    If Not oFSO.FolderExists(sFolder & Format(Date, "yyyy-mm-dd")) Then
    MkDir sFolder & Format(Date, "yyyy-mm-dd")
    End If
    Set oFolder = oFSO.getfolder("C:\idsc\")
    For Each oFile In oFolder.Files
    If Int(oFile.DateLastModified) = Date Then
    oFile.Copy sFolder & Format(Date, "yyyy-mm-dd") & "\" &
    oFile.Name
    End If
    Next oFile

    Set oFile = Nothing
    Set oFolder = Nothing
    Set oFSO = Nothing

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

    '---------------------------------------------------------------------------

    '---------------------------------------------------------------------------

  3. #3
    Greg B
    Guest

    Re: Backing Up

    Sorry Bob or who ever can give me advice,

    How can I get it to make a folder called e.g. 04/03/2005 instead of having
    a new directory where it includes the date in it. I was hoping to have the
    date incorporated into the name so I know when it was backed up.

    '---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sub CopyFolder()
    '---------------------------------------------------------------------------

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Backing Up

    This creates a folder with today's date under I:\backup.

    '---------------------------------------------------------------------------

  5. #5
    Greg B
    Guest

    Re: Backing Up

    Yes it does everything it copies the 4 folders like it should, but, is it
    possible to get it to copy all the other folder into the newly created date
    folder?

    Thanks you again for the advice

    Greg

  6. #6
    Greg B
    Guest

    Re: Backing Up

    Sorry I wasnt thinking, it does exactly what I want please disregard last
    post

    Thanks for all the help

    Greg

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Backing Up

    Let's make absolutely sure I understand, because I have gotten confused by
    this thread so far.

    If you have a folder, with sub-folders, do you want to copy all files, in
    the folder and the sub-folder, into a new directory I:\backup\04/03/2005,
    but not retaining the sub-folder hierarchy.

    C:\dsc
    myFile.xls
    <sub-gfolder1>
    myFile2.xls

    becomes

    i:\backup\04/03/2005
    myFile.xls
    myFile2.xls

    If this is correct, what happens if you have myFile,.xls in the folder, and
    also in one or more sub-folders?

  8. #8
    Greg B
    Guest

    Re: Backing Up

    I think I have confused myself too much, I am trying too hard to get this
    working perfect. I forgot all i need to do is save the folder as a backup.
    I did not need the date. I am very sorry for wasting your time.

    Thanks once again

    Greg