How do I import text file, analyze data, export results, open next file

  1. #1
    Geoffro
    Guest

    How do I import text file, analyze data, export results, open next file

    Ok, here's my dilemma...

    I have about 3000 text files that I want to import one at a time, do
    some manipulation to the data, and import a result into a new file or
    worksheet where I can then do some analyzing on that data. Oh, one
    more thing, I want to be able to do this with a macro. I have a list
    of all of the file names and they can be imported into excel. How do I
    import the file data using that file name in the workbook?

    Here's an example....

    I have a file named "file1.txt". I want to import the data from
    file1.txt automatically. From there I want to sort the data, do some
    calculations, and export the results into a new worksheet or text file
    where each line looks like this:

    File1,45,686,yes,12342

    Afterwards, I want to clear the worksheet and move on to the next file
    in the list named "file2.txt" and do the same calculations and add
    it to the result worksheet or text file like this:

    File1,45,686,yes,12342
    File2,44,632,no,14432

    Finally, after all 3000+ files have been analyzed I want to take the
    finished worksheet or text file and do some other analyzing on it.

    Any help is greatly appreciated here and I am more than willing to
    compensate someone for their time if they were to help get this done.
    I can be contacted at [email protected]

    Thanks,

    Geoff

  2. #2
    Geoffro
    Guest

    Re: How do I import text file, analyze data, export results, open next file

    Whoops! I guess my email addy can't show up that way. It's

    geoffro10 at yahoo dot com

    Thanks!

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: How do I import text file, analyze data, export results, open next file

    assume the 3000 names are in a worksheet name filenames in a workbook name
    MasterList.xls
    Assume the summary sheet is the first sheet in a workbook named Summary.xls

    Sub Process3000()
    Dim bk as workbook
    Dim cell as Range
    Dim rng as Range
    Dim rng1 as Range
    Dim rng3 as Range
    for each cell in Workbooks("MasterList.xls"). _
    worksheets("Filenames").Range(A1:A3000")
    set bk = workBooks.open(cell.name)
    set rng = bk.Activesheet.Range("A1").currentRegion
    rng.Sort Key1:=bk.Activesheet.Range("A1")
    ' perform unspecified calculations
    ' assume a new row is added at the bottom with formula
    ' as an example.
    set rng3 = bk.Activesheet.Cells(rows.count,1).End(xlup)
    rng3.Resize(1,4).FormulR1C1 = "=Sum(R1C:R[-1]C)"
    rng3.offset(0,2).Value = "Yes"
    copy that line to the summation workbook
    set rng1 = Workbooks("Summary.xls").worksheets(1) _
    cells(rows.count,1).End(xlup)(2)

    rng3.offset(0,1).Resize(1,4).copy
    rng1.offset(0,1).Pastespecial xlValues
    rng1.Value = cell.Value ' file name
    bk.close Savechanges:=False
    Next
    End sub

    Of course you have not defined your analysis, so I just gave an example
    where such code would be place.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...