String Comparison

  1. #1
    Purnima
    Guest

    String Comparison

    Hi...
    I want to perform a comparison on two string expressions. The strings would
    normally be of the form "ABC Systems Limited" or "ABC Systems LTD". Now if I
    were to compare these two strings, I want the macro to return true even if
    the last part of the strings dont match exactly, i.e. Limited and LTD. In
    simpler words, it should return true for two strings expressions containing
    abbreviations like LTD( Limited), Hlgds( Holdings) etc. Can anyone please
    help me with this?

  2. #2
    Tim Williams
    Guest

    Re: String Comparison

    do you have a ddefined list of what words are equivalent?

    If so you could first use (eg)
    sText=Replace(sText, "LTD", "Limited")
    sText=Replace(sText, "Hlgds", "Holdings")
    sText=Replace(sText, "etc", "etcetera")

    before doing the comparison.

    Tim.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    AA2e72E
    Guest

    RE: String Comparison

    You might consider dropping the last word from each string before comparing
    them:

    Function Compare(ByVal String1 As String, ByVal String2 As String) As Boolean
    Compare = UCase(Left(String1, InStrRev(String1, " "))) =
    UCase(Left(String2, InStrRev(String2, " ")))
    End Function

    Sub xx()
    Debug.Print Compare("ABC SYSTEMS LTD", "abc Systems limited")
    End Sub

  4. #4
    Purnima
    Guest

    RE: String Comparison

    Hi..
    I cannot drop the last word from the comparison. I wish to compare the whole
    string
    including the last words of both string expressions. The result should be as
    follows:

    String1 String2
    Result

    1. ABC Systems Limited ABC Systems Ltd
    TRUE

    2. ABC Systems Limited ABC Systems Inc.
    FALSE

    So I need to check whether the last word in one of the string expr. is an
    abbreviation of the last word in the other string expr. If it is, then return
    true, but if it is a totally different abbr. then return false.

  5. #5
    AA2e72E
    Guest

    RE: String Comparison

    Can you restrict the comparison by using just the first letter of the last
    word? If , yes, try

    Function Compare(ByVal String1 As String, ByVal String2 As String) As Boolean
    Compare = UCase(Left(String1, 1 + InStrRev(String1, " "))) =
    UCase(Left(String2, 1 + InStrRev(String2, " ")))
    End Function

    Sub xx()
    Debug.Print Compare("ABC SYSTEMS LTD", "abc Systems Inc")
    End Sub

  6. #6
    Purnima
    Guest

    RE: String Comparison

    Hi..
    Thanx for the help.
    Is there a way by which I could put each string expression in an array and
    then compare them word by word. If all the words match except the last one,
    then we could check if it is an abbreviated form of the last word in the
    other string expression. Otherwise if all words match ,then that obviously
    means that both string expressions are the same.

  7. #7
    AA2e72E
    Guest

    RE: String Comparison

    Try the code below:
    1. if string1 & string2 match, return true
    2. if string1 without last word matches string2 without last word, then

  8. #8
    AA2e72E
    Guest

    RE: String Comparison

    try (test) the code below:
    1. if string1 and string2 match, return true else false
    2. if string1 withut last word matches string2 without last word then:
    if last word of string1 is shorter than last word of string2, return
    true if ALL letters of last word of string1 is found in last word of string2
    else false
    if last word of string1 is longer than last word of string2, return true
    if ALL letters of last word of string2 is found in last word of string1 else
    false

    IAM ASSUMING THAT ANY ABBREVIATION IS A SUBSET OF THE LETTERS OF THE FULL
    WORD.

    Function Compare(ByVal String1 As String, ByVal String2 As String) As Boolean
    String1 = UCase(String1)
    String2 = UCase(String2)
    If String1 = String2 Then
    Compare = True
    Else
    If Left(String1, InStrRev(String1, " ")) = Left(String2,
    InStrRev(String2, " ")) Then
    String1 = Mid(String1, 1 + InStrRev(String1, " "))
    String2 = Mid(String2, 1 + InStrRev(String2, " "))
    Compare = True
    If Len(String1) < Len(String2) Then
    For i = 1 To Len(String1)
    Compare = Compare And 0 <> InStr(String2, Mid(String1, i, 1))
    If Not Compare Then Exit Function
    Next
    Else
    For i = 1 To Len(String2)
    Compare = Compare And 0 <> InStr(String1, Mid(String2, i, 1))
    If Not Compare Then Exit Function
    Next
    End Function

    Sub xx()
    Debug.Print Compare("ABC SYSTEMS LTD", "abc Systems Limited")
    Debug.Print Compare("ABC SYSTEMS LIMITED", "abc Systems Ltd")
    End Sub

  9. #9
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: String Comparison

    Purnima,
    How about this function:

    Public Function MatchMe(argCompanyName As String) As String
    Dim CompanyType As String
    Dim arrCompanyTypes As Variant
    Dim i As Long
    Dim Temp As String

    Const CompanyTypes As String = "Company,Incorporated,Holdings,Limited"

    arrCompanyTypes = Split(CompanyTypes, ",")

    'Get the last part of the string
    Temp = Mid(argCompanyName, InStrRev(argCompanyName, " ") + 1)

    'Insert an asterisk between each character
    For i = 1 To Len(CompanyType)
    CompanyType = CompanyType & Mid(Temp , i, 1) & "*"
    Next

    'Compare to all of the full versions of CompanyType
    For i = 0 To UBound(arrCompanyTypes)
    If arrCompanyTypes(i) Like CompanyType Then
    MatchMe = arrCompanyTypes(i)
    Exit Function
    End If
    Next

    MatchMe = "Not Found"

    End Function

    You would still have to handle punctuation, capitalisation and finally
    replacing the company type.
    RegExp may be worth looking at also.

    NickHK

  10. #10
    Purnima
    Guest

    RE: String Comparison

    Wow.......I believe that would work......thanx a million!

    Cheers,
    Purnima.