COUNTIF data counting

  1. #1
    joebogey
    Guest

    COUNTIF data counting

    I use the COUNTIF function to eliminate duplicate job applications.

    Application serial number is in column A, each application ser# is 11 digits
    Applicant SSN is in column B
    Column C has formula =A1&"."&B1
    Column D has formula =COUNTIF(A1:A15000,A1)

    The problem that seems to have risen is that the COUNTIF function only looks
    at the first 15 digits. What is happening now is we have people with similar
    SSN's applying for the same job and they are being grouped together. Is there
    a way to make COUNTIF look at the entire string of digits, or is there
    another function that can be used?

    Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    Vasant Nanavati
    Guest

    Re: COUNTIF data counting

    "joebogey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Column D has formula =COUNTIF(A1:A15000,A1)

    I'm assuming you mean:

    =COUNTIF(C$1:C$15000,C1)

    Try instead:

    =SUM(--(C1=C$1:C$15000))

    entered as an array formula with <Ctrl> <Shift> <Enter>.

    --

    Vasant

  3. #3
    joebogey
    Guest

    Re: COUNTIF data counting

    I tried that and it worked perfectly. I was just wondering if you could give
    an explanation of exactly how this is working, such as what the "--" does to
    the formula?

    Sorry, once I implement this I'll probably have to explain how it works.

    Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.
    Joe

  4. #4
    Vasant Nanavati
    Guest

    Re: COUNTIF data counting

    The "double minus" simply converts TRUE and FALSE values to 1 and 0, so the
    SUM function adds up all the TRUEs in the array; that is, it counts up the
    number of matches.

    --

    Vasant