Which is the best installation target folder for Add-ins ?

  1. #1
    Charles Jordan
    Guest

    Which is the best installation target folder for Add-ins ?

    Hi all. We have multiple student users with all versions of Excel and
    great confusions about the most trouble-free location for add-ins,
    (and the dates of add-in versions)

    Which is better :

    ?Application.LibraryPath
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\LIBRARY, or:

    ?Application.UserLibraryPath
    C:\Documents and Settings\Charles\Application Data\Microsoft\AddIns\

    Thanks - Charles

  2. #2
    Peter T
    Guest

    Re: Which is the best installation target folder for Add-ins ?

    Hi Charles,

    An Addin can of course go in any folder but possibly the most trouble free
    would be the folder that opens by default when you "browse" to Addins. I
    think that's normally .UserLibraryPath for XL2k and later

    If there's a possibility any of your users have XL97 then:

    Sub test()
    If Val(Application.Version) >= 9 Then
    Debug.Print Application.UserLibraryPath 'not xl97
    End If
    Debug.Print Application.LibraryPath

    Peter T

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Charles Jordan

    "Peter T" <peter_t@discussions> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi Charles,
    >
    > An Addin can of course go in any folder but possibly the most trouble free
    > would be the folder that opens by default when you "browse" to Addins. I
    > think that's normally .UserLibraryPath for XL2k and later
    >
    > If there's a possibility any of your users have XL97 then:
    >
    > Sub test()
    > If Val(Application.Version) >= 9 Then
    > Debug.Print Application.UserLibraryPath 'not xl97
    > End If
    > Debug.Print Application.LibraryPath
    > End Sub
    >
    > Regards,
    > Peter T
    >

    > "Charles Jordan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi all. We have multiple student users with all versions of Excel and
    > > great confusions about the most trouble-free location for add-ins,
    > > (and the dates of add-in versions)
    > >
    > > Which is better :
    > >
    > > ?Application.LibraryPath
    > > C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\LIBRARY, or:
    > >
    > > ?Application.UserLibraryPath
    > > C:\Documents and Settings\Charles\Application Data\Microsoft\AddIns\
    > >
    > > Thanks - Charles

    Ptere - XL2k is our earliest supported - .UserLibraryPath looks the
    best. Tks vm - Charles

  4. #4
    Charles Jordan

    [email protected] (Charles Jordan) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Peter T" <peter_t@discussions> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Hi Charles,
    > >
    > > An Addin can of course go in any folder but possibly the most trouble free
    > > would be the folder that opens by default when you "browse" to Addins. I
    > > think that's normally .UserLibraryPath for XL2k and later
    > >
    > > If there's a possibility any of your users have XL97 then:
    > >
    > > Sub test()
    > > If Val(Application.Version) >= 9 Then
    > > Debug.Print Application.UserLibraryPath 'not xl97
    > > End If
    > > Debug.Print Application.LibraryPath
    > > End Sub
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Peter T
    > >

    > > "Charles Jordan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hi all. We have multiple student users with all versions of Excel and
    > > > great confusions about the most trouble-free location for add-ins,
    > > > (and the dates of add-in versions)
    > > >
    > > > Which is better :
    > > >
    > > > ?Application.LibraryPath
    > > > C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\LIBRARY, or:
    > > >
    > > > ?Application.UserLibraryPath
    > > > C:\Documents and Settings\Charles\Application Data\Microsoft\AddIns\
    > > >
    > > > Thanks - Charles

    > Ptere - XL2k is our earliest supported - .UserLibraryPath looks the
    > best. Tks vm - Charles

    Peter - sorry about mis-spelling your name. Charles

  5. #5
    Peter T
    Guest

    Re: Which is the best installation target folder for Add-ins ?

    > > Ptere - XL2k is our earliest supported - .UserLibraryPath looks the
    > > best. Tks vm - Charles

    > Peter - sorry about mis-spelling your name. Charles

    No problem, I often mistype it my self.

    Regards,
    Petre T